Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Of Singing Fish and Talking Piglets

This little pig will say "wheeeeee!" all the way home, but she doesn't like the GEICO ad.
Hiya, Friends! No, I'm not doing a Halloween Rewind, although that seems like a fun idea to me, since Halloween was so long ago, and it's so far until Halloween this year!  But I don't wanna hurry it up to Halloween, because there's all kinds of fun things to do before then like Spring, and Memorial Day, and Summertime, and when I turn two!  Too much going on between now and Halloween to rush it, I think!

No, I'm in my piggy costume to talk to you about the current crop of advertisements.  Now, you know I watch a lot of hockey.  If you don't know that, now you do.  I am a Sabres fan.  And one thing I've noticed is that during Sabres games, they like to play some commercials.  One is from Geico, and it's the talking piglet.  I saw the first talking piglet advert, the one where they say "Can you save a buncha money by switching to Geico?" and then they cut to the piglet hanging out of the back of an SUV with a pinwheel in each hand, going "Wheeeeeeeeee!  Wheee-e-eee-ee-e! Wheeeeeeeeeee!"  And it was funny because it implied "Did the little pig say "whee, whee, whee" all the way home?" and the answer is yes.  It was funny, but my family and I do our car insurancing through Erie, and we're not interested in changing, so don't even try to get us to, because it won't work.

Anyway, Geico followed that winning commercial up with the piglet on a zip-line, or else he's doing a street luge.  I'm not sure what the little pig is doing, but there's another guy, definitely street-luging, and the little pig goes whizzing past him and says "pure adrenaline" and then keeps going by, with his "wheeeee! ing."  That's where they lost me with the piglet. 

Now when I watch the hockey, the piglet is in a convertible that broke down with a girl, and the girl acts like she wants to kiss the little pig, and he pulls "Fruit Ninjas" up on his phone and starts playing it, to pass the time while the Geico people come to help them.  I think that was a classy move on the part of the little pig, but the whole commercial weirds me out.  I'm not gonna lie. 

I bring that up because I like the original ad about the little pig going "Wheeeeeee!" all the way home, but I feel like it's been sequalled to death.  That's too bad.  So much for that.

Another commercial I was looking forward to, since it's Lent and fish-fry season and all, was the McDonald's "Give me back that Filet-O-Fish" commercial, where the fish on the wall is singing for the guys to give him back the filet-o-fish that was taken from him to make the McDonald's sandwich.  I LOVE that commercial when I watch it on the YouTube, since it was out before I was born.  It makes me laugh.  Now they have a new commercial with sardines on the wall, singing, and advertising the new fish nuggets or whatever McDonald's is trying to sell us using them.  And I hafta admit, it's lost on me.  I want 'em to bring back the "Give me back that Filet-O-Fish" commercial, even if it WOULD be a little awkward if you had a fish on the wall, and you were eating a fish sandwich, and the fish on the wall starting singing to you to give back the filet of fish that you're eating. 

This makes me hungry, which makes me feel awkward.
I think I spoke to this awkwardness over the summer, when Mommy, Daddy, Aunt Colleen, and Uncle Lorentz took me to the zoo in Pittsburgh.  We were in the aquarium, and all the fish were swimming around, and all's I could think about were those fish and McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwiches.  And I started feeling hungry, and also awkward, but mostly hungry.  It really impeded me making friends with the fish, the way I connected with the giraffes and elephants and lions and the other animals I could talk to but I wouldn't think of eating.  Fish are kinda difficult, because there they are in that tank, and I know we eat fish.  I mean, I love salmon.  And they know we eat fish, and I'm pretty sure they can tell I'm a girl who likes salmon, and it's just awkward after that. 

And that's why I love that original Filet-O-Fish commercial, Big People.  It's funny because it's awkward!  I wish they'd stop ruining their funny commercials by making follow-ups.  That's what I wish, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment