Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Somebody I Used To Know

Thinkin' about somebody I used to know.

Hiya, Friends!  Well, last night, I ran across an old friend, Binki.  I gave up Binki way back, right after Christmas.  I just got up one morning, and said, "Binki, I don't need you anymore.  Thanks for being my friend while I did, but now I'm a Big Girl."  I had Mommy pack up all the different Binkis I had, and that was that.

At least I thought that was that.  See, last night, I wasn't into my usual Sensitive Flavor Wipe while I was getting changed for bed, and I was rooting all around in my changing station, and there was a Binki tucked into a pocket.  You wouldn't believe what I felt, seeing Binki, Big People.  I felt my heart kind of kick me.  And it was like Binki and I hadn't been apart all this time.  It was kind of soothing to have Binki again.

Mommy let me see Binki until I was all in my jim-jams, and then she took Binki away.  Boy, did I kick up a fuss.  I mean, who does that woman think she is, anyway?!  You can't just take away somebody's Binki without their consent!

And then Mommy said something to me that got me thinking.  She said, "Zoe, you've been telling me for months what a Big Girl you are, and how you're ready to do all kinds of Big Girl things, but now you won't let me take Binki away.  It's all right if you need Binki again, but if you do, then you won't be able to order off the menu at the Texas Hot anymore, because girls who need Binki aren't big enough to order off menus."

Well, as nice as it was to have Binki again, I sure do like ordering off the menu. I felt like such a big girl at the Cracker Barrel when I got my mashed potatoes and applesauce, and that day I got to have Jell-O at the Texas Hot in Downtown Wellsville... that was the best day EVER!  I've been waiting my whole life to order off the menu at the Texas Hot in Downtown Wellsville!  Being a Big Girl is kind of hard sometimes, but it's also really fun.  And no way is Binki as much fun as sitting up to the table and eating Jell-O at The Texas Hot!

I guess that's how it is, then.  You go through this part of your life where Binki is the most important thing.  I never left the house without one for my mouth, and one hooked to my carseat, and an extra one in my diaper bag, and then another extra one in a pod hooked to my diaper bag.  I couldn't imagine being without Binki.  And now, Binki's just someone I used to know.  And that's okay. 

I'm on to bigger and better things.  Like eating Jell-O and ordering off the menu at Texas Hot!
My first Jell-O off the menu at the Texas Hot in Downtown Wellsville!  What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment