Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It's Election Day!


Stop everything and get to your polling place!
 Hiya, Friends and Big People!  Zoe here, and it's a big day.  It's Election Day.  It's a big Election Day, because it's a year divisible by four, and we have to pick a new President.  And by "we," I mean "you," Big People, because I'm not old enough to vote yet.

Now, I don't know much about politics, and I'm not here to try to get you to vote one way or the other.  That's nobody's business but yours.  What I am here to say today is that if you're old enough to vote, and you're registered to vote, and you aren't hooked up to a life support system, you need to get yourself to your voting booth, Friends.  This is serious stuff.

My voting place is in this direction!
I've been reading a lot about the history of our nation, about the patriots who died for the right to vote for the people who'd represent them.  I've read that there was a time in this country when people weren't allowed to vote, because of the color of their skin, and they risked their lives to be able to vote.  I've read that women weren't able to vote, and they had to fight for the right.  So many people have had to fight to have their voices heard! 

It's crazy for me to think about all that, because for my whole life, most Big People are allowed to vote.  I just can't imagine not voting, if you're allowed to.  I cannot wait to be old enough to vote.  It's not that I feel like I don't have it pretty good the way things are, but voting gives you a voice in how things are run around here.  Goodness, I'd like to have a voice in what I get to have for lunch everyday.
Big People: Don't mess this up!  Go vote!

So if you're thinking about not voting today, even though you're allowed to vote, Big People, I urge you to change your mind.  Your vote DOES matter.  You DO have the power to change things.  It IS important to vote.  If they could come forward in time and talk to us today, all those people who had to fight for their right to vote, they'd tell you to get to your polling station and cast your vote.  They wouldn't think of sitting it out.

And one last thought, Big People, from me, Zoe, on behalf of all the little kids just like me.  Definitely vote  today, Friends.  Don't mess this up.  This is our world you're keeping warm for us.  Someday, my people are going to be in charge, so we're hoping that you leave the world a little better for us than you found it. 

No matter HOW you vote, Friends, remember, Zoe loves you!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment