Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

The Hockey Season that Isn't



My first Sabres Fan gear!
Friends, I have a confession to make.  I, Zoe WithLizardBreath Blake, am a hockey fan.  I watched my very first hockey game when I was only four weeks old!  I watched it at my Jeep dealership, and it was my Buffalo Sabres against the Anaheim Ducks, and they were playing their first game all the way in Finland!  That's why we had to watch the game at the dealership.  We had an appointment there, and the game was in the afternoon, and they got the game, so we watched it!  And it was so much fun!  I decided that day that I would be a hockey fan for life!

At my house, we have a big television set where we'd watch hockey games last year.  I just loved hearing my favorite announcer in the whole National Hockey League, Rick Jeanneret, say, 'SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!' Whenever the Sabres would put a puck in the other team's net.  And I got to stay up and watch the whole hockey game on hockey nights.  I sure was glad hockey season lasts so long.

Sabres jim-jams always give me sweet dreams!
When Mommy and Daddy would go to hockey games in Buffalo, I'd get to stay with my Gramma.  Now, Gramma's a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, and she was always making me look at the Sidney Crosby calendar on game night, and is always trying to turn me into a Penguins fan, but I sure like my Sabres.

Me and Sabretooth! Friends and fans forever!
The thing is, it's the Twelfth of November today, and I haven't gotten to watch my favorite team play hockey, because they've been locked out.  This is terrible!  And it must be terrible for them, to be locked out.  Back in the summer, Mommy and I got locked out of our red Jeep, and we had to call the locksmith, and for $43, he let us back into to our Jeep.  I've offered to send our locksmith's name and number up to the Buffalo Sabres, so they'd get let back in from being locked out, but Mommy says all the hockey teams are locked out, and our locksmith can't let them all back in.  So that leaves me, Zoe WithLizardBreath Blake, lifelong hockey fan, with no hockey games I can watch this season.  This is a tragedy.  I just don't know what to do.  Sometimes, when I didn't have anything else to talk about with someone I just met, I could talk about hockey, and break the ice a little bit... no pun intended.  But that's how it worked!  We'd get talking about hockey, and then we'd find out other things we had in common, and next thing you know, it was like we were old friends! 

I've tried getting into football.  I've tried, and I just can't.  I don't get it.  I don't like watching big boys running into each other.  I like to watch skating, and keeping track of the puck, and hearing it boing off my team's goalpost and into the glass when the other team shoots on my team's net.  I like to hear the sound of the goal horn when my team scores. 

The face of intimidation, right here! Are you intimidated?
It's starting to make me punchy, Friends, waiting for some shred of hope that the hockey season that isn't can somehow find some type of salvation.  I'm also getting twitchy.  Everything I see reminds me of some type of hockey thing.  Even at the Red Lobster, the bread basket reminded me of a goalie mask, so of course I had to model it. 

I sure hope hockey comes back soon, or I'm going to have to steal a bread basket, and a coupla oven mitts and make my own hockey team, of which I'll be the goalie, on account of me having the bread-basket mask and oven-mitt pads.  I can make it work, Big People, but it'd be a whole lot easier if they'd just let the professionals back at it.  It really would!

Anyway, have a good rest of your Monday, Friends.  I'll see you again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment