Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

My Favorite Word!

"Shan-duh-LEEEEEEEEEER!"
Hiya, Friends!  Do you have a favorite word?  I do!  It's a word that makes me smile every time I hear it.  It makes me laugh.  Do you want to know what it is?  It's "Chandelier!"  That's my favorite word!

You have to say it just right.  Just saying "chandelier" all normal and boring doesn't make me giggle at all.  But if you say it like this, "shan-duh-LEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR!" It gets me every time!  It's a fun-sounding word!  Try it, Friends!  Shout out "shan-duh-LEEEEEEEEEEEEER!" and just see if you can do it without giggling!

It's one of those words that if you don't know what it means, you might have something pictured in your head that's completely different from what the word really is.  For instance, before I knew what a chandelier was, I had it pictured in my head as a dance, where the fellow wears a shirt with colorful-tiered sleeves, and the lady wears a fancy dress with puffy short sleeves and a long colorful tiered skirt, and they jump and maybe play castanets.  Maybe do some swordplay.  Although I could never figure out how they'd do with the swords, with all those colorful tiers on their sleeves or on their skirt.  Swords and all that material don't seem to mix, at least not in my head.

That's all neither here nor there, though Big People.  I found out that I think what I was thinking of were "flamenco dancers," whenever I heard the word "chandelier."  I still don't know where the swords came from... Oh, yes, I do!  I was also thinking of the Three Musketeers!  They had swords, didn't they?  So in my head, chandeliers were flamenco-dancing musketeers that could either be men or women.  One thing I've never understood in my whole life is why do the fairy tale princesses always wait for some prince with a sword to come rescue them?  Why don't those princesses just pick up a sword of their own, or a stick, or a cattle prod, and rescue themselves? 

I love to look at chandeliers!  They're pretty!
That's the kind of princess I want to be!  The kind of princess who just rescues herself, darn it!  Don't expect to see me standing around, wringing my hands, and wondering if my prince is going to come save me!

Did I just drive us down a side street?  I think I did.  I get all wound up, and forget what topic I'm supposed to be staying on. 

Sword-fighting dancers and self-rescuing princesses aside, I was relieved to find out that chandeliers are really lights that hang from a ceiling.  And in the downstairs of my house, we have three of them that I love to look at!  One of them is right over the couch in the living room.  It's made of brass, but not shiny brass.  Old-looking brass.  And it has twelve lights on it, with lightbulbs that look like candle-flames. How about that?!  And the one over the dining room table that I look at while I sit in my high chair and eat is a lot like the one in the living room.  They both have pretty crystals on them, that I imagine wearing like earrings, but they look so nice on the chandeliers that I probably will let those crystals stay on the chandeliers, and then I'll find other sparklies to wear as earrings, when I'm old enough to wear earrings.  Then the other chandelier is in the front hallway, and I can see it from my high chair, and also from my office.  It's made out of crystals, but is in the shape of an egg, so we call it the "egg lamp," even though I think it's my favorite chandelier in the house.  My favorite is when my office is dark, and the egg lamp is lit up.  It's almost as good as a disco ball, but not quite. 

So there you have it, Friends!  My favorite word in the whole English language, so far.  Chandelier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment