Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Flutterby, Butterfly!

When in the Butterfly Conservatory, do as the butterflies do!
Hiya, Big People!

Well, I'll tell ya.  I love butterflies.  Ever since I was a baby, my bedroom has been fulla butterflies.  The sheets in my crib were butterflies, I had a buncha onesies that were butterflies, there were butterflies that flew around and around in circles over my head, and I couldn't stop lookin' at 'em!

Since I was a baby, I've avidly studied butterflies.  I have learned that they love milkweed and nectar and wildflowers, and that they start life as little worms and then they undergo a process called 'metamorphosis.'  I have learned that their wings are very fragile, and yet they can travel thousands of miles on their wings.  The most fascinating fact for me is that butterflies unroll their tongues and have a straw with 'em at all times and that's how they eat!

So when I had the opportunity recently to visit the Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls, I jumped at the chance! 

It wasn't my first time inside a place for butterflies.  The Strong Museum in Rochester has a butterfly garden, and when I went there on my birthday, I wore a flowered dress, and a butterfly landed on me!  It didn't unroll its tongue and try to drink the flowers on my dress, but it was nice to say hello to it! It made me feel special!

The Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls is bigger, though.  Lots more butterflies live there.  They keep it really warm in there- eighty degrees or so.  It felt really good to me on the cold day I visited!  I saw all kinds of butterflies at the Conservatory.  It's really hard for me to pick a favorite, because to me, butterflies are like flying flowers, and pickin' a favorite flower from all the flowers in the garden is a difficult feat.  So I'd just like to be referred to as a Butterfly Enthusiast, and love all the butterflies!

I think I love butterflies so much because they're colorful and energetic and also, they aren't afraid of changing themselves.  They relish the reinvention.  I really respect that!

So, if you ever find yourself in the home of the butterflies, be like a butterfly, mmmkay?

I love ya lots, Big People!  I'll see ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment