Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

It's Fact Tuesday!

Saying an opinion with especial conviction doesn't turn it into a fact!
Hiya, Friends!  As you know, today is Fact Tuesday, the day in which we really pay attention to our sources and get our facts straight in preparation for tomorrow, which is Ask Wednesday. 

I'll deal with Ask Wednesday tomorrow.  Today, I have a fact I would like to discuss.

A fact is something that can be proven.  That in itself is a fact.

Some facts are concrete.  You can search and find out just why a fact is a fact.  For instance, it is a fact that the planet we live upon is called Earth, and it's round like a ball, not flat like a pizza.  We know this is a fact, because even before the astronauts blasted off into space to gain a little perspective on our world, it could be mathematically proven that the world is round, not flat.  Smart people takin' measurements and usin' science, Big People.  If you try to argue against this, you're either yankin' everybody's chain, tryin' to start a fight, or you're delusional.

Now, "The world is a wonderful place" is an opinion.  You can't mathematically prove it.  From where I sit, yes, the world is a wonderful place.  I love people, people love me, and generally, things work out for the best in my life.  Someone else might live a life of ashes and see the world as pretty much the worst.  Neither of us is right, and both of us is right.

Sometimes, an opinion so close to bein' Right, and so many people agree with it appears to be a fact.  I caught myself on this one, whilst writing a draft of today's post.  My fact for Fact Tuesday is that the Texas Hot in Downtown Wellsville is just a GREAT place to eat!  Everybody I know seems to love the Texas Hot.  But when I tried my statement against scientific proof, it turns out that only part of my statement is fact, and the other part is opinion.  Further research proves that factually, I am correct in stating that the Texas Hot is in Downtown Wellsville.  Its street address, geographic coordinates, elevation above sea level, and very presence prove this to be true.  But it being just a GREAT place to eat, alas, is just a widely-held and highly-regarded opinion, because as unlikely as it may seem, there are a few people here-n-there who do not like the Texas Hot.  It's sad, but they're entitled to their opinion, and that means that there's more Texas Hot for the rest of us.

Happy Fact Tuesday, Big People.  Go out and seek some facts and identify opinions, mmmkay?  I love ya lots, which is a FACT!  I'll see ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment