Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Reading is FUNdamental!

There are worlds of knowledge contained between the covers of a book!
Hiya, Friends.  Well, as you know, I've recently taken up doing some art.  I like to paint with my fingers.  I like to string beads on pipe cleaners.  My recent foray into artsycrafts has got me thinking maybe I can monetize my talents. 

Thing of it is, I don't really know how to value my delightful handcrafted items, so I needed to turn to an expert.  I found this expert no farther away than my local bookcase.

It isn't the most exciting reading.  I mean, it's no Berenstain Bears, Curious George, or Corduroy, and there aren't any pictures, but it is an informative read.

Hey.  This awesome doesn't come for free!
For instance, I learned that I wanna price my handicrafted work expensive enough so that the costs of my materials are covered.  Well, right now, I can raid Mommy's stash of crafty raw materials, so I don't really hafta figure in the cost of materials.

... Or DO I?

Because the book says people will think something's wrong if you price your craftables too cheap.  They might think they weren't made by your hands, but instead that they were made in China.  It isn't right to try to pass off someone else's work as being made by your own two hands.  So I wouldn't wanna raise the suspicion that I'm selling handicrafts and artwork that's been ripped off from someone else. 
I'm on an expedition to find my next project!

But I don't wanna price my items so high that I alienate my would-be customer base.  I learned that customers are the ones who'll give you money in exchange for your handicrafts and artwork, and you don't wanna alienate them and have 'em thinking you hafta get top dollar for mid-range work.

There's that thing about going too low, though.  Gotta make sure my time is valued at something, even if I nicked my materials out of Mommy's or Aunt Colleen's supply closet.  If you don't get paid for your time, that's like workin' for free, or worse!

Jeez.  Pricing handicrafts is almost as much work as making them in the first place!  I'll get it, though, Friends!  I sure will!  I'll find that perfect balance between Too Much and Not Enough.  It's just gonna take me putting on a Thinking Cap! 

Hey- Thinking Caps!  Maybe that can be my next project to make and sell!

I love ya, Friends!  See ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment