Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Very Superstitious!

Getchyer game faces on, Friends!  It's Friday the 13th!
Oooooooh, Friends!  It's Friday the Thirteenth!  How about that?!

I guess there's people out there who are very superstitious about the Number Thirteen.  Lotsa hotels and high-rise buildings don't have floors with the Number Thirteen.  They just skip right over it as though it's optional.  Isn't that weird?

Anyway, to celebrate Friday the Thirteenth, I'd like to talk about some common superstitions that people have, mmmmkay?  Okay!  Let's go!

Back to this thing about Friday the Thirteenth being an unlucky day.  I just don't know how they did the math and had it add up to Friday the Thirteenth being unlucky!  If anything, Friday the Thirteenth is even more awesome than any other day of the week that coulda been the Thirteenth.  Think about it.  I think I mentioned WAY back that I think a better day to put the whammy on people would be MONDAY the Thirteenth, not Friday the Thirteenth.  Why?  Fridays are awesome, and Mondays are... well, they're Mondays, aren't they?  And usually they come by the case.  Ripe pickens for a whammy, I think!
Hey, Friday the 13th Whammies: check out my shirt!

People can be funny about black cats crossing their paths.  This one, I take umbrage with.  One of my best friends is a black cat.  His name is Buddy.  I don't think Buddy Cat is a bad luck cat at all.  In fact, it's just the opposite.  My family says that Buddy Cat's crossing their path was one of the luckiest things ever!  How about that?!

They say you don't wanna stand under a ladder, because it's bad luck.  I understand this one a little.  If you stand on a ladder, someone or something could fall on your head.  On the surface, that's bad luck, but look a little deeper, and that's poor planning.  Seriously!

Also on the Poor Planning Makes For Bad Luck smorgasbord, I guess if ya walk around with only one shoe on, ya get seven years' bad luck for each step you take, especially if you're forgetting to put on your LEFT shoe.  That's a head-scratcher.  I could see why it would cause you bad luck in the immediate time during which you walk around one-shoed.  You could step on a nail.  That's bad luck, but you were going around wearing only one shoe, so it's Bad Luck Due to Poor Planning!  They oughtta trademark that, now that I think about it!

Breaking a mirror will also earn you a seven-pack of bad luck years.  I get it.  Mirrors shatter into a bazillion pieces when they break, and it takes a long time to clean 'em all up, and get all the tiny little shards.  But SEVEN YEARS of BAD LUCK?!  Come on!  I guess this comes from the way-back machine, when people thought mirrors reflected their souls, so if the mirror got shattered, so did their soul.  I don't really understand the seven years thing, though.  Is that how long it took for their soul to put itself back together?  Is that even how it works?  Strange ancient people, anyway!

I'm still gonna wear my Special hat today.  Just to be safe!
Some people like to throw salt over their left shoulder to ward off evil spirits.  Other people spit when they're about to say something that might tempt fate.  The former is interesting, but would be a little annoying if you had to sweep up.  The latter is just kinda disgusting.  Spitting, Big People?  Really?!  Gross.

Anyway, on this Friday the Thirteenth, Friends, take some advice from your pal Zoe and go out there and just have fun.  It's Friday, after all, and you aren't the helpless pawn of mischievous gods or strange atmospheric conditions.  You have power over your own luck.  Sometimes, weird or bad things happen out of the blue, sometimes, they're just a result of Poor Planning.  Control whatchya can, Friends, and be careful of the rest, but DON'T LET IT RUIN YOUR PERFECTLY GREAT FRIDAY, MMMMMMMMKAY?!

It's gonna be okay, Friends!  I love ya, and I'll see ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment