Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Oh When the Saints Go Marchin' In to the Bing!

I'm a harmonica player.  How about that?!
 Hiya, Friends!  Well, all my life, I've wanted to be in a marching band.  I think marching bands are great.  Those people get to make music while burning calories.  I bet it's a great cardiovascular workout to be able to play "Hang On Sloopy" while you're hoofing along to the beat of the drum!

Plus, I love marching band uniforms.  I love the ones that have a cape attached, because nothing has quite the flair as the swash of a wool cape swishing behind a person, am I right, Friends?

The thing that really gets me, though, are the hats.  I think the hats are GREAT!  I love the tall hats with the plume on the front and the visors and the strap that goes under somebody's chin.  Chin-straps are super-useful, Big People.  I can't tell you how many times I've been wearing a hat without a chin-strap, and my hat's darned near gotten knocked right off.  So chin-straps are a win in my book, Big People!

What do YOU think of my marching band hat?
Another thing I love about marching bands is that when you're in a marching band, you get to take tubes and sticks and shaky things and make music, and then you get to take that music you're making on the move!  Instead of carrying a boom box, you ARE the boom box, except you're a BOOM! box! 

I fancy myself a player of lotsa different musical instruments.  Some days I play percussion.  Other days, I'm all about the harmonica.  I had to work really hard to learn how to play the harmonica, and now I can get a coupla notes out of it, and since I'm not first chair harmonica or anything like that, two notes are all the notes I need on any given song!  I get two different notes depending on where on the harmonica I put my mouth! If one of the notes isn't right for that place in the song, the other note will be just fine!

I bring up all this because it's Mardi Gras, and it's a big day for marching bands, if you're in the right place.  Apparently Mardi Gras isn't a big deal here in the Bing, because when I gathered up my marching band to march in the Mardi Gras Parade, it turned out there wasn't one.  I think that's too bad.  I love a good parade.

But it's okay.  We're staging our own marching band parade, right through the middle of the house today.  My best pal Rozzie's going to sing, I'm going to play my harmonica, Sabretooth's going to beat a drum, and the Little Giraffes are going to form a kazoo chorus.  If we tell ourselves we're playing "When the Saints Go Marchin' In," then it will be so, but if you happen to hear us and hear "Hang On Sloopy" instead, why, that's okay, too.  Just, whatever you do, dance like nobody's watching when you hear us making our music.  Can you do that for me, Friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment