Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Make a Date

Sweet, delicious, and good for you:  Dates: Who knew?!
Hiya, Big People!  Happy Saturday to you! 

Well, if you know me, you know that I love tryin' new foods, especially foods that my own Big People seem to think a lot of.  I get the biggest kick out of tryin' new things.  I really do. 

It all goes back to my days of drinkin' my Similac and eyein' up all the delicious, chewable things my Big People would eat right in front of me as though I wasn't aware that they were eating deliciousness you can chew, and I was slurpin' baby formula.  Not that I'm complainin'.  Back in the day, Similac was where it was at.  Granted, that day was back before my eyes could focus and let me see food.

Then I got to try out pureed foods, and that was cool for a while, but I realized I still was gettin' a less than fair shake at mealtime.  I still wasn't able to chew anything.  I couldn't wait to start gummin' bananas. But I knew there was deliciousness to be had, beyond bananas and purees.  I really got so I was payin' attention to what my Big People were eating, and I realized it bore little to no resemblance to what passed for food for me.

Well, a while back, I noticed Mommy scarfin' down diced dates by the handful... nay, the BAGful!  And if Mommy's hoovering down a food like that, I knew it had to be good, so I tried 'em. And guess what!  I liked 'em a whole lot!  They're sweeter and less chewy than a raisin, and they don't have unfortunate side-effects that prunes... excuse me... dried plums... often have.  If there's no chocolate in the house for this kid to enjoy, and there rarely is, at least I know that dates are an excellent option. 

So don't be afraid to try new foods, Big People!  You might just find something that's your new favorite thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment