Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Office Politics

Please can we have a recount?
Hiya, Friends!  Well, don't you know the other day on dang ol' Election Day, I went and got myself voted in to an elected position here at the office?  I didn't even know I was running for anything!

At first, when people were saying I won the election, I asked them to re-count the votes, please.  I didn't think it was possible to win an election without even knowing I was running.

Then it was explained to me about write-in votes, and I started to feel kinda bad, because sometimes when people don't like the choices they're presented with, they write in people like Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck or some other fictitious person, and they do this to express their distaste for the actual choices.

I wondered if I was my office's Mickey Mouse, and that thought kind of hurt my feelings.
Wait. What? So what's my title now, and does it come with a badge?

I didn't even know what election I'd won, to be honest with you.  I was so busy saying I didn't want to be whatever it was that I guess I ignored which position I'd won.

As it turned out, I'm the newly-elected Coordinator of Donuts in the Conference Room!

Mitch from Accounting, the incumbent Coordinator of Donuts in the Conference Room, was a little sore that I beat him, even as a write-in, and I felt bad, because he thought of the position as sort of like being the Czar of the Conference Room and the Doge of any donuts that came in or out of the building.  It was getting so he didn't take into consideration what kinds of donuts everybody else wanted.  He'd just order crullers, which are really just air whipped into a thin shell of fat and flour with a little sugar drizzled on, and then jelly, which are his favorite.  No vanilla cremes, no bowties.  Certainly nothing new and experimental that Donut Dude might try!

I'm filling out my first Donut Order as Coordinator of Donuts in the Conference Room!
Plus, he never tipped the delivery people, so I understand there was some campaigning from Donut Dude and Donut Dude's delivery people, to vote in a new Coordinator of Donuts in the Conference Room.

What I'm saying is maybe Mitch was on a little bit of a freaky power trip in the position.  I don't know.  feel bad for Mitch, but he IS still on the office Fun Committee, which is appointed, not elected.  Sabretooth is also on the Fun Committee, so Mitch can't get all Mitchy on that committee.

And I'm the new Coordinator of Donuts in the Conference Room, Friends.  It's a position I take very seriously.  I wanna do a good job.  One thing I've already implemented is a Flavor Request Ticket.  I'm working with Donut Dude on this.  I mean, I already have a really good idea of what kinds of donuts my coworkers like to see in the conference room, but even I, who am a staunch Vanilla Creme girl, like to shake it up a little bit once in a while and have a Blueberry Cake, or maybe try one of Donut Dude's new flavors.  So Donut Dude and I have come up with a form that everybody can just check off the flavors of donuts they'd like to see this time around, and that's what I order, with some extras. 

People love being listened to.  So do Little Giraffes, Sabretooth Tigers, bears, dollies, and all my other coworkers!  Being listened to and feeling like they have a say in important decisions like which donuts to order for the conference room makes everybody feel really good!

So that's been my Exciting Week so far, Friends.  I hope if you got elected on a write-in vote, you're taking to your new position with as much enthusiasm as I am!  I'm gonna show people (Mitch) that even if I WAS the "Mickey Mouse," I'm gonna be the best darn Mickey Mouse Coordinator of Donuts in the Conference Room in the history of our office!

No comments:

Post a Comment