Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mystery Solved!

Don't I feel silly, getting all worried about Justice?
Friends, the other day, I posted a post about my confusion with the phrase "Might Justice Swell."  I didn't know what certain things had to pertain to Justice swelling, and it really had me bothered.  So I did some sleuthing after I finished writing, and as it turns out, you Big People aren't saying "Might Justice Swell" when someone asks you if you want dessert, or if you wanna go to Walmart since you're right there at the dang ol' Mall anyway, or if you're gonna stay and play one more hand of rummy.

That isn't what you're saying at all, Friends!  Whew!

I found out that what you say in those instances is "Might just as well!"

If ya say it out loud like you do, you can understand why I got confused.  For folks who've had a command of the Language of the Big People for a while, sometimes you all don't enunciate very well.  It's okay, though.  I still love ya!

Actually, I don't feel silly, Friends.  I don't!
I'm relieved that my confusion was all just a misunderstanding of the way things sound in my ears.  I was really worried about the Lady Justice that stands up on top of the courthouse over in the county seat.  I was really worried about her!  I mean, I wouldn't want her swelling all up, just because I wanted seconds on Jello, or because I was having a hot streak in my card game and I wanted to play another hand.  That doesn't seem very fair!

But as it turns out, I don't even hafta worry about it! 

Now, I feel like on some plane, I oughtta feel kinda silly for letting myself get all wrought up over whether or not Lady Justice swells up.  It's silly, isn't it?  I mean, think about the visual.  A big ol' gold-leafed Lady of Justice getting swellier and swellier, and people on the ground throwing M&Ms at her to see if they orbit... I probably wouldn't do that, though.  She has a sword, and also, Mommy says it's impolite to point out excessive puffiness by throwing delicious little chocolates wrapped in a delightful crunchy candy shell at the sweller-upper in question.
Makin' mistakes and finding out the right answer is how I learn!

But to tell ya the truth, I don't feel at all silly about my misunderstanding.  I learned something, and I'll know what I learned forever.  That's something to feel proud of, not to feel silly about.

Now, speaking of things you Big People say that I don't understand, can somebody please tell me what "Pertineer" is?  Is it some kind of eating utensil?  Maybe a fashion accessory?  Here it is in context: "Zoe, go wash your hands!  Supper's pertineer ready!"  or "Zoe, time to put on your jammies!  It's pertineer bedtime!"

What does that even mean?

Think about it, and I'll see ya tomorrow, Friends!  I love ya! Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment