Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Zoe's Techno Rewind: Television Antennas

"Too Foreign, Seven:" how to remember the channels from the TV antenna.
Hiya, Big People!  Hey, I was out riding around with Mommy and Daddy the other day, and we drove by a house that had this great big metal thing on the roof.  It looked like spiky arrows or something, and it was HUGE!  And then when we got home, I was looking through the "before" pictures of the house where I live, and wouldja believe there was one of those big metal spiky arrow things up on my very roof once?

I didn't know what to make of this discovery, Friends.  I mean, I didn't even know what the things were!

As it turns out, these giant metal spiky things on toppa people's roofs were TV antennas!  People usedta get TV out of the AIR and the antennas would catch the channels!

Pretty cool, huh?

Well, no.  Not as pretty cool as I'd think.  You see, there weren't a lotta channels you could get out of the air.  The antennas couldn't catch channels that weren't in the air.  So people who live where Mommy grew up got three channels- Channel Two, Channel Four, and Channel Seven- the Big Three stations outta Buffalo.  Mommy said sometimes they got Channel 6 from Elmira, and later on, Channel 44, which was found on the Number 4 spot on the television dial.  Channel 44 was the Public Television Station, so Mommy could watch Mister Rogers and Sesame Street.

I woulda thought it was a happy day when Mommy could watch Sesame Street and Mister Rogers at her very own house, but Mommy said sometimes the channels came in all fuzzy, or snowy, or they wouldn't come in at all.  They'd hafta adjust the antenna just right.  There were antennas on toppa the television set, too, that needed to be pointed just so.

If you lived through those days, Friends, I feel for ya.  You had it rough. 

Anyway, I'll see ya tomorrow, and I'll be back next Tuesday for another Zoe's Techno Rewind!  I love ya lots!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment