Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Drive-Thru for Adventure!

Look at all those cars.  I may have bitten off more than I can chew here!
Hiya, Friends!  Hey.  Have you ever worked the drive-thru window at an eating establishment?  I had the opportunity to do just such a thing over the Summer.  My friend Donut Dude asked me to work his drive-thru window one day, because his regular drive-thru person had an emergency to deal with one day, so I said Sure! and got my headset and my cash-register-operatin' fingers ready to do their work, and away I went!  How hard could runnin' the Donut Dude Drive-Thru be, Friends?

I'll tell ya how hard it can be.  Holy smokes.

First, understand that Donut Dude sells coffee and donuts.  I guess that's how he got his name.  I don't know what Donut Dude's real name is, but I'd bet cash-money that it doesn't say 'Donut Dude' on his birth certificate.

Back to the Drive-Thru.  One of Donut Dude's busiest times of the day, as it turns out, is First Thing in the Morning.  I think I knew this.  I just didn't think of it from the perspective of bein' on the other side of the drive-thru window.  So there's one obstacle that makes it less than breezy, manning the drive-thru.

When ya think about it, those people waiting for their coffee and donuts probably didn't eat a full breakfast before running out their door, hoppin' in their car, and driving to Donut Dudes on their way to work.  Have you ever noticed that people get a little ... hangry when they haven't eaten or had their coffee?  Hungry anger.  It's a thing, and it's real, Friends.  Not exactly the conditions that set up patient, generous folks who courteously give and wait for their orders.  People in that state of mind and tummy don't like to wait the normal amount of time for their coffee-n-donuts, and if you think they have all kinds of extra patience to give to the new girl at the register, you must have just fallen off the turnip truck, bless your soul! 

Friends, I didn't do too bad that day.  I didn't mess up anybody's order.  I didn't switch any orders around or get 'em otherwise all confused.  But I was pretty slow, and the only tips I made that day were people tellin' me I needed to learn to be faster.

That was quite an education, Friends.  I'm glad I could help Donut Dude out that day, but I'll tell ya what.  I haven't gone back to the Drive-Up Window since.  When Donut Dude needs extra help, I like to help bake things or put the sprinkles on the donuts.  I keep the coffeepots stocked with fresh coffee.  But I just would really rather not run the drive-thru again.  It's pretty  much the stuff of my nightmares!

So if you're out and about today, Friends, and stopping at a Drive-Thru, be kind.  Be patient.  Even if you're hangry. 

I love ya lots, and I'll see ya tomorrow!

Muah!


No comments:

Post a Comment