Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

I Am Not A Threenager

Despite my attitude, I am not a Threenager.
Hiya, Friends!  Happy Sunday to you!

Well, you know, there are some adults out there who think they're clever, and they call a subset of the people my age "Threenagers."  I'm not sure, but I believe this to be a pejorative dig both at three-year-olds and teenagers.  I can speak only for the three-year-olds, but I betchya the teenagers represented by this pejorative dig are not impressed, either.

You see, we are two separate species, three year olds and teenagers.  When you're Three, you're just figuring things out.  Just learnin' things.  You can do a lot more than your Big People will letchya do, and most of the time, you end up just frusterated. 

There's an incredibly sympathetic, well-written, thoughtful article likening being two and three years old to being stuck for the day at the DMV.  For you people who think "Threenager" is hi-larious and true-to-life, I suggest you give it a Goog and imagine how YOU'D feel if you were stuck at the DMV all day and you got jerked around.  And don't be all self-righteous and claim that you'd be patient as molasses in January.  I've seen you Big People melt down over things that are far less of a big deal than bein' told to take a nap or that you've gotta leave the store without the SuperDeluxe Frozen Elsa's Ice Castle Complete with Lights and Sound Effects that you want.

I've seen you Big People act just awful. 

As for comparing Three-Year-Olds to teenagers, normally, I'd say that teenagers are just awful, but then I'd be just as guilty of over-generalizing just like the coiners of "Threenager."  AND, most teenagers I've met aren't all that bad, on an individual basis.  Go easy on 'em, Big People.  You oughtta remember what it's like to be a teenager, Friends.  I hear it stinks, and I'm not lookin' forward to it.  Just when things smooth out from the Toddler and Early Childhood years, you hit Teenagerdom, and your pre-frontal cortex shuts the heck off and you get weird for a few years.  That stinks.

Friends, my whole entire point today is I understand that as a three-year-old, I can be frusterating at times.  Sometimes many times a day, I am frusterating.  I also understand that teenagers can seem like alien species.  But.  Lemme wanna remind you that you, too, were once a three-year-old and also a teenager.  I think you woulda appreciated the Big People in your life not being snarky to you and calling you a "threenager." 

Be the change you wanna see in the world, Friends.  Darn it.

Awwwwww heck.  I love ya anyways.  I sure do.  And I'll be seein' ya tomorrow! Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment