Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Despite All My Zeal, I'm Still Just a Hamster On A Wheel!

Sittin' on the stairs: an important part of my daily routine.
Hiya, Friends!  Well, it's Wednesday all over again.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm a hamster on a wheel, just going around and doing the same thing again and again.  It's okay.  I mean, I'd rather be a hamster on a wheel than a hamster without a wheel.

Could you imagine how purposeless a hamster without a wheel must feel?  I'd imagine it'd be pretty purposeless.  At least the hamster on the wheel can live for making the wheel go around and around.

I don't know.  I kind of like the routine.  I like my days being predictable.  I get up in the morning, have a bath, get some breakfast, do my show on the Facebook, toddle around, see what I can get into, have some lunch, toddle around some more and see if I can figure out those annoying tab things Mommy and Daddy have put in the cupboard doors, argue with Mommy over having a nap, read a book or a new magazine with Mommy, go to crib for the nap I argued about, come downstairs, see if Daddy's home yet, eat some dinner, go for a walk or play with some bubbles if it's nice outside, or toddle around inside and see what I can get into, argue with Daddy about my bedtime, get into my jim-jams, read a book and do some shadow-puppeteering with Daddy, look at the rainbow light in my room, fall asleep, and wait for it all to start over again.
My routines do NOT make me dull!  My work IS my play!

That's my day, in a nutshell, most of the time.

Sometimes, I go places.  I go to my doctor.  I go to Gramma's.  I go to the Texas Hot in Downtown Wellsville.  I go to the mall with my Mommy.  I go to the grocery store. 

But for the most of my days, I follow the routine I outlined above.  It's the core of the way I spend my time.

The wheel spins and spins, and I keep up with it, by golly!  

I suppose if you wanted to be a cynic, you could say that following such a routine can make a person dull.  I just don't agree.  I think routines free me up to be more interesting.  To be more me. 

See, I don't have to sit around wondering what I'm gonna do.  All I have to do is think through what all I've done.  On a regular day, say I'm getting that two o'clock feeling.  I run through the checklist in my head.  Have I gotten out of crib?  Check.  Have I had my bath, brushed my teeth, combed my hair?  Check, check, and check.  Did I have breakfast and do The Daily Zoe? Check and Check.  What about lunch?  Hmmm.  Wait, no I did have lunch.  I had mac and cheese and a wiener.  Let's see.  Two sessions of toddling around and seeing what I can get into are down.  It must be time to argue with Vava about my nap.

See how that works? 
I can be ready for adventure at a moment's notice!  Let's roll!
Routines keep the world rolling, Friends.  There's nothing wrong with being a hamster on a wheel.  It's a heckofalot better than being a hamster without a wheel, never knowing what's supposed to happen when, never knowing what to do. Or what about instead of being ON the wheel, if you were a hamster about to get run over by his wheel?  Sheesh.  I've had days where I've almost wondered if that's what I was, but I recover.  I recover.

I'm not saying I'm not up for an adventure when it comes a-callin'.  I'm not saying that at all.  I can cut loose and adventure with people when I wanna.  Thanks to my routines I follow, I can actually pick up and go on short notice.  How about that?!  I think it's pretty impressive, if I say so myself.

So it doesn't make me at all angry of self-conscious to admit to being a hamster on a wheel on this Wednesday.  It doesn't.  I rather like it.  How about that?!

Remember, Zoe loves ya!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment