Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

A Whole New World... Of Donuts!

I don't know.  If it looks like a donut, smells like a donut, and tastes like a donut, I'm callin' it a donut!
Hiya, Friends!  Happy Monday to you! 

Well, if ya know me, you know I just love donuts.  Why, the other day, I was caught eatin' an eclair, and then there was this whole discussion here at the Office whether I was really eatin' an eclair or a Long John.  I guess actual eclairs are made of choux dough, like a profiterole, and the delicious pastry I was munching on was made of "lowly" donut dough. 

At first, this whole big discussion annoyed me, because I think people get all up in arms over nothing, most of the time, and they want the WORLD to know it!  But then, I got to wondering about choux dough and what a profiterole is. 

Well, I learned that choux dough is made of butter, water, flour, and eggs.  And then it's piped into the shape you want it in.  You'd pipe a long tube of choux dough for an eclair, or a little roundy thing for a cream puff, which is what a profiterole is, actually.  This disappointed me, because one of the few things I don't like over on the Chinese buffet at my favorite Chinese buffet are the cream puffs.  They're just awful.  But perhaps I should manage my cream puff expectations at the Chinese buffet, right?

So I wasn't so sure I'd like an actual eclair, with the choux dough, but I probably would, if I got one from a pastry shop, and not from the Chinese Buffet. 

My investigation of what sets an eclair apart from a Long John opened me up to a whole new world of donuts, though: malasadas, fastnachts, crullers, fritters, ring donuts, little chocolate donuts, glazed donuts, blueberry cake donuts, jelly donuts, Maple bars, Timbits (a favorite of mine!), beignets, pignolata, bomboloni...  Donuts from around the world, Friends!  And I want to try 'em all!

I think it's a waste of time, personally, arguing over what's a donut and what isn't.  Here's my criteria: if it looks like a donut, smells like a donut, tastes like a donut, then I'm callin' it a donut.  I could spend my time arguing about it, but I'd rather spend my time eatin' all the donuts. 

So that's that.

I love ya, Friends, and I'll be seein' ya tomorrow, mmmkay?  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment