Pages

Friday, December 4, 2015

What Punctuation Mark Am I?

Punctuation matters, Friends!
Hiya, Friends!  Happy Friday to ya! 

Well, ya know, I love to think about things, and sometimes I'm known to have some pretty deep thoughts when I'm thinking, and the thoughts I'm thinking today are about punctuation marks. 

Namely, if I were a punctuation mark, which one would I be?

I know I wouldn't be a comma.  Commas indicate a pause.  I also would not be ellipses for the same reason.  I value those things, and I value pauses, but I wouldn't say those things define me. 

Now, the case could be made that I'd be a question mark, because I ask a lot of questions.  This would be missing the point, however.  I ask questions because I like to learn things.  I do not question the very being of me.  I don't question why I'm here.  I don't question my essence.  There are those who do, and that's cool.  But that just isn't me.  I know who and why I am.  I just ask to learn.

Now, you've got the exclamation point to consider. Exclamation points are excitement! energy! decisiveness!  They back more punch than a mundane period.  They explode off the page.  Exclamation points pop! They say "Here I am!"  I love, love, LOVE exclamation points!

Combining the best of the question mark and the exclamation point is the interrobang, which is this thing: ‽  It's an exclamation point within a question mark, and you're probably used to seeing it represented thus: ?!  It signals surprise, or in the case of a kid tryin' to figure out which punctuation mark she is, it's a questioner who's very emphatic about her questions.  It's less passive than a question mark.  It's a little combative, but in a good way.  An interrobang cannot be ignored.  An interrobang is in-your-face.

I think I could be an interrobang, and I didn't set out to pick that as my definitive punctuation mark.  But the more I've talked to you about it, the more I really like it.  It really does combine the best of the questioning question mark and the popping excitement of an exclamation point!

Friends, I didn't even hafta go through all the punctuation marks to decide.  Which punctuation mark are YOU, do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment