Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

These Donuts I Developed Aren't Gonna Present Themselves!

I'm gonna present my Flapjacks-n-Jowls Donut today!
Hiya, Big People! 

As you know, I recently accepted a position at my friend Donut Dude's Corporate Headquarters, as the Director of Donut Development.  The job is great fun and hardly feels like I'm at work. 

Sure beats the heck outta fillin' out TPS Reports every day, I'll tell ya that much!

So, I'm in charge of developing new donut flavors and concepts, you know, coming up with the ideas for new flavors, and then formulating and trying recipes (and formulating and trying new recipes until I find one that really suits).  I work with a team of people, and although I direct the team, we all collaborate.  We all brainstorm.  We all work together to bring out the best donut offerings.

After we have the idea and the recipe down, we make a buncha the new donuts, and then we go out in Donut Dude Donut Trucks to distribute them to potential customers.  I think this is called a "market test," or a "beta test," but we know it as "lettin' people try our new donuts and tellin' us what they liked and didn't like about 'em!"

After that phase of the process, it's back to the drawing board, because there's always tweaking to do.  It isn't that people are hard to please, but when they find something they sort of like, or they want to like, but it just isn't "there" yet, my team and I like to do whatever we can to make sure we get the new donut to "sensational!" status.

Oh, sure.  Sometimes we develop a dud.  We tried a Sun Dried Tomato, Broccoli, and Cheese donut that seemed like a good idea at the time- kind of a savory donut insteadda the familiar sweet donuts.  We were tryin' to be edgy and new.  But here's the thing, people didn't like it.

I guess there's a good way to be edgy and a bad way, and that's the bad way to do it, Friends.  Nobody liked that donut.  We didn't really get a lot of complete feedback on that one, but we got a lot of "Yuck!" and "What is WRONG with you?!" on the forms, so we figure that's one to put away and not spend any more of our R&D money and time on.

However, today I'm presenting a new donut, and I think it's a winner.  I think it's edgy in all the right ways.  While I'm not on the crest of the trend, I think I'm definitely riding in the good part of the wave with this one:

The Flapjacks-n-Jowls Donut (working title), which is a pancake-flavored donut (hence the flapjacks), filled with a delicious maple-flavored buttercreme that has pieces of crispy, applewood-smoked bacon folded carefully into it.  And then the whole donut is glazed in a maple glaze and iced with a maple-flavored ganache, and topped with more crispy, maple-candied applewood-smoked bacon crumbles.  The "jowls" part comes from the bacon.

I don't know about you, but I think we have a winner on our hands.  There'll be some people who won't like it, because they don't like to get their bacon all syrupy, but I think a lotta folks will think it's just the ticket.  I just hafta present, and get Donut Dude to okay mass-producing them so we can put them on the donut trucks!  How about that?!

Friends, even if an idea seems weird at first, sometimes, you've just gotta give it a spin.

I love ya lots!  I'll see ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment