Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Diverse Feast

Cookin' for a diverse group can be a challenge!
Hiya, Friends! 

Well, have you ever had to cook for a buncha people, but all those people have different things they like and don't like and can eat and don't eat? 

I recently hosted a dinner for the Little Giraffes and some of the other Little Animals from the Steppes, as well as a delegation of Tiger Babies and such, and had to come up with a meal that would suit everybody, wouldn't offend anyone, and also wouldn't upset anybody's allergies!

I knew it was gonna be a doozie of a task, especially that thing about making everybody happy and not offending anybody.  Especially since I was cookin' for such a diverse group, with very strong opinions!

Yoo-hoo!  Does anybody want vegan gravy?  Yes?  No?
Fortunately, nobody had any food allergies.  That kind of thing can really complicate matters for somebody cookin' for a large group!  And you don't wanna not invite anybody because they have allergies.  That'd be too bad!  So you hafta learn to accommodate 'em, or know to keep your dining room stocked with lotsa epi-pens, just in case.

But hooray for me, I didn't hafta worry about that.  What I had to worry about was fixing something that would keep the Tiger Babies and other omnivores feeling like they got something to eat, but wouldn't make the Little Giraffes and other herbivores uncomfortable or make 'em feel victimized.  You do not want to make your dinner guests feel victimized, Friends.  You just don't.

I mean, it's just Poor Form.

Next time, I'm gonna let a caterer handle this!
So I ended up thinking outside the roasting pan and I made Mango-Coconut Soup with Tofu Croutons and Mandarin Oranges, and also a nice, green salad with mixed greens and a delightful lime-coconut dressing. I served my salads on palm-leaves, and the Mango-Coconut Soup with Tofu Croutons and Mandarin Oranges was chilled and served in those fancy glasses that look like they're wearing high heels!  It was great!

There were some that made snoots about having cold soup whipped and served in a footed glass, but most everyone else loved it all!  It made me feel really good inside that I could pull that all off without using any meat or dairy products, and if anybody was offended, at least it was their taste-buds that was offended and not their very selves.  You know?

So I'm proud of me for pulling it all off, but I'll tell ya what, Friends.  Next time, I'm gonna call upon the services of a good caterer to juggle everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment