Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Walk A Mile In Somebody's Shoes!

I'm gonna walk a mile in somebody else's shoes today!
Hiya, Friends!

Well, you know that saying "walk a mile in that person's shoes?"  I'm sure you do.  Everybody does.  And I wanted to try it out.  I picked Daddy's shoes, because they were the handiest, and because I could find the left shoe and the right shoe fairly readily.  Mommy's shoes were in a big jumble.

It's true!  I could find the left one to this pair, but the right one was somewhere else.  There were a couple pairs of shoes that looked similar, but once I had 'em paired up, I found out they were slightly different.

Daddy's one pair of shoes was right there, all matched up like a sane person set 'em out, so I put 'em on, just like that!

I could probably water-ski in these! Hope I don't trip!
As it turns out, that was the easy part.  Actually walking even a few steps in Daddy's shoes was nighontabein' impossible.  First of all, they were way too big.  Second of all, I nearly tripped over my own feet.  Finally, once I got a good left-right-left-right rhythm going, I walked right the heck outta those shoes.

So much for walking a mile in Daddy's shoes!

It got me curious, though, about where that saying came from.  You know what I mean?  As it turns out, it's part of a longer saying: Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Well.  Like I iterated before, and what I'll reiterate now, is that at least the person's shoes I chose to walk in made it impossible to make it from the door to the living room in them, let alone a whole mile.  I mean, they weren't my shoes!  Daddy bought those shoes after he tried 'em on so they'd fit HIS feet, and so that HE could walk a mile or more in them!  And then, after they were bought and worn, they sort of shaped themselves to Daddy's feet!  I hear this is how it works for shoes.

Besides that, Daddy's shoes weren't even designed for somebody like me!

Nuts to this!  I'll walk a mile in my OWN shoes!
It seems kinda silly for somebody to try walking in somebody else's shoes, now that I've tried it, and it hasn't worked out for me.

Maybe what the saying is trying to say is that people shouldn't be so judgy about each other, because it's impossible for one person to really see or experience things from the same vantage point as another person.  So I oughtta just mind my own beeswax, you oughtta mind your own beeswax, and that nosy Gladys Kravitz oughtta mind her own beeswax, for sure!  I think that's what that saying's trying to get at. 

Woah.

You know what, Friends?  I think I need to let all that sink in.  I think I'm gonna go for a little walk to get my head around that.  I might walk a mile.  I know I'm gonna do it in my OWN shoes!

See ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment