Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Shoppin' at Little Kid Grocery

That Pidgie McDougall just bought all the marshmallow salad.
Hiya, Friends!  As you may or may not know, I was born to shop.  This should come as no surprise.  And I really like it.  Shopping.  I even do my own shopping at the Little Kid Grocery. 

They have all my favorite things at the Little Kid Grocery.  They have cupcakes and sprinkles, and balloons, and back in the deli they have marshmallow salad.  Sometimes, it's even on sale!

That's where today's topic of inquiry focuses, actually, the deli counter at the Little Kid Grocery.  See, one day a coupla weeks back, I was in the Little Kid Grocery, just stocking up on a few things.  Sprinkles were on sale for a dollar forty-nine a pound, because they're in season right now, and I like to stock up on 'em this time of year and freeze 'em for when they're not in season and they get expensive.  Although this year, I hear the conditions were ripe for a bumper-crop of sprinkles, and the unusually large harvest could potentially keep sprinkle prices down well into the winter.  I sure hope so!  They're such a staple!

Anyway, marshmallow salad was also on sale in the deli, and I love marshmallow salad.  Everybody at Little Kid Grocery knows I love marshmallow salad, probably because every time I do the shopping, and I go back to the deli department, I say how much I love marshmallow salad.

Well. 
Sorry, Friends.  I'm disappointed and I need a moment.

That Pidgie McDougall was in front of me in the deli line, and she bought up the last five gallons of marshmallow salad. 

Who on Earth needs a five-gallon pail of marshmallow salad, Friends?  Who?  I mean, usually I'll buy a quart, which is what I was after that day anyway.  I'll share my quart of marshmallow salad with my friends at the office. You don't need a lot of that marshmallow salad, you know.  It's very dense on the calories and sugar and quite light on the nutrition, but it's a treat.  A guilty pleasure of mine, if you will.

Anyway, there was speculation over why Pidgie McDougall needed a five-gallon pail of marshmallow salad.  Someone suggested that she was going to invite me to share some with her.  I knew right from the start that was a preciously naive guess.  Pidgie isn't that kind of McDougall.

Also, we all wondered if maybe she was having a party, but nobody could really figure out who she'd invite to her party, even if she DID have marshmallow salad to offer.  Marshmallow Salad is tasty, but isn't worth putting up with Pidgie for that long.

I realize that sounds mean, but Pidgie McDougall has been my arch-nemesis since the first time I started shopping at The Little Kid Grocery.  Always keeping something stirred up.  Arguing with the stock-boys.  Trying to make the checker-outers take coupons that have expired and making them cry when they say they aren't allowed.  Bumping other shoppers out of her way with her cart so she can get to the good stuff before anybody else.

And then there's this: it finally came out why Pidgie McDougall bought the deli's last five gallons of marshmallow salad that day:  She saw me over in Sprinkles and Decorations, weighing the sprinkles I was buying, and heard me telling Hattie Halperin how happy I was that marshmallow salad was on special, because I love marshmallow salad.  So she hurried over to the deli to get there first, and she bought all the marshmallow salad, took it home, and you know what she did?

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard it with my own two ears.  And I did.  I was a coupla people behind her at the deli counter, and they asked her how she liked her five-gallon pail of marshmallow salad, and she told them she ate a dish of that marshmallow salad and then let the rest spoil.

Okay, I'm all better!  Didn't need those calories this week, anyway!
I guess now you know that in the deli department at The Little Kid Grocery, they have a limit on how much marshmallow salad we can buy at once.  It's one gallon, so at least if we're having a party, we don't hafta make four separate trips into the store to get enough marshmallow salad.  We can still buy enough to share with our friends or co-workers.  But we can't buy five gallons and then let it all spoil.

It's a shame it's come to this, Friends.  Putting limits on how much marshmallow salad we're allowed to buy in one trip, but I hafta say, I agree with Management's decision.  As long as there are Pidgie McDougalls in the world, and they have pots to stir, there'll hafta be policies that seem to pinch the style of the rest of us.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy some marshmallow salad that the people from Little Kid Grocery set aside for me in the deli department.  That was good of 'em.  I love ya, Friends, and I'll see ya tomorrow, and please remember not to be a Pidgie McDougall!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment