Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I Worry About Amelia Bedelia


Hiya, Friends!  I know I've mentioned it before, but you know, I am quite a reader.  I read all kinds of books.  I read about Curious George, and Wemberly, Owen, and Chrysanthemum, I read about the Berenstain Bears and Clifford the Big Red Dog.  I also read about Amelia Bedelia, and that's who I want to talk about today.

Boy, do I ever worry about Amelia Bedelia!
Friends, I sure do worry about that Amelia Bedelia! She's always messing something up, poor thing, and getting in trouble for it, too!  For instance, Amelia Bedelia put powder all over the furniture to dust it, instead of taking dust off the furniture.  She got out a pencil and paper and sketched the curtains when Mrs. Rogers said to "draw the curtains."  When she was told to change the towels, she cut up the towels!

Holy moly, Friends!  No wonder Mrs. Rogers got so mad at Amelia Bedelia!

One time, Mrs. Rogers got so mad at Amelia Bedelia that she fired her!  Oh, my goodness!  And Amelia Bedelia went and tried a buncha other jobs besides being a maid.  She used real pins to pin up a lady's hair in a hair salon.  She just cut off the dresses she was supposed to shorten, instead of cutting them off and carefully hemming them up.  When she worked at a doctor's office, she picked up the patients and carried them back to the exam room.
Ooof!  Amelia Bedelia's really messed up good, this time!

Everybody was so bewildered! And Amelia Bedelia kept getting fired!

The thing of it is, and here's what I don't really understand, is that as far as being a maid or a seamstress or beautician's assistant, or receptionist, Amelia Bedelia isn't that with-it.  But she always saves her own bacon before the end of the book by baking something delicious.

It makes me wonder why Amelia Bedelia spends so much time trying to be those things.  Why can't she see that her strength is baking?  I think Amelia Bedelia would be a wonderful pastry chef, and make all kinds of cakes, and cream puffs, and pies, and CUPCAKES!  Why, I bet of anybody, Amelia Bedelia would be the one to help me make my dream of making a Cupcakeinator a reality. 

Rozzie and I would LOVE to be Amelia Bedelia's official tasters!
I think that's where the key to success is found, Friends.  You wanna identify what you're good at, and go for it, instead of trying so hard to be something you just weren't cut out for.  Amelia Bedelia wasn't cut out to be a maid!  She was clearly meant to be a pastry chef!  That's the lesson I learn from the Amelia Bedelia books!  I understand other people read into the hilarity of Amelia Bedelia taking orders literally, when they're meant to be figures of speech.  I just don't buy that explanation.  Amelia Bedelia's just been waiting, all these years, for someone to say to her, "Amelia Bedelia, howsabout working in my pastry shop?" and Amelia Bedelia would be a successful pastry chef, with a television show on the Food channel, and a line of Amelia Bedelia-branded kitchen tools, you know, pans and spatulas and such, and cookbooks.  I think Amelia Bedelia would be a force to be reckoned with, if she were a pastry chef!

If I could say something to Amelia Bedelia, it would be that she's given being a maid for Mr. and Mrs. Rogers her best shot, but after all these years, she's still goofing things up, and it's time to go with a new career choice, something she's really, REALLY good at.  Amelia Bedelia, if you're reading this, I have a buncha ideas for pastries, and I know you'd understand where I'm coming from.  Let's talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment