Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Hiya, Summer Vacation!

Didja make it to summer, Friends?
 Well, Friends, here we are on the last day of May.  Boy, the time's going fast, isn't it?  Why, it seems like I was just talking about the first day of school, and now school's over already.

Wait a minute.  I wasn't doing this blog-gig then.  I didn't start until into the school year.  But I'm glad I got started. 

Anyway, school's out for the summer. It really doesn't matter one way or the other to me, since I'm not in school yet, but my Aunt Colleen's a teacher, and it definitely matters to her.  It'll definitely matter to me in a few years, too.  Mommy hasn't stopped bawling about that since yesterday.  It's really kinda sad.

This schoolyear was a rough one.  Tonight at graduation, Mommy's giving the first annual Darlene J. Sitler Memorial Scholarship.  She and a few friends from high school founded it in December, after their elementary music teacher was killed.  It was just awful.  I remember Mommy crying and crying, and I just hugged her and hugged her.  And now they have the scholarship to give out.  I never got to meet Ms. Sitler, but I think I would have liked her.  I think of her whenever Mommy and I sing, or I play one of my musical instruments.  I think that's a good way to keep somebody from really going away, Friends.  Keep thinking about them.  Keep singing their songs.  Start up a memorial scholarship for 'em, if you can.

Then there was all the things that happened on the national level.  That school in Connecticut.  The tornadoes in the Midwest.  Seems like there's always something, Friends.  Always something that can just snatch us right up out of our lives and change everything as we know it.  This world's a scary place.

It's also a pretty wonderful place, if you let it be, Friends.  That's what I've learned this schoolyear.  If I worry about what's coming next, I'd be afraid to put one foot in front of the other.  So I'm trying to practice just taking things as they come.  New teeth?  No big deal!  Learning to climb stairs? Baby, please... I was doing that by myself way back in the Fall.  Now all of a sudden, there's new seats on the potties in the house, small enough for me to sit on, and Mommy says my days in diapers are numbered.

Be cool, and take things as they come!
This one, I'm having trouble fathoming.  I like pulling that silver handle on the potty, but I'm not gonna lie.  When I tried out my new seat today after my bath, I was pretty sure that potty was a white porcelain god, ready to swallow up sacrificial Zoe.  So I'm going to advise Mommy to pump the brakes on this particular thing.  Pump those breaks, Mommy!

I think Mommy should listen to me on this one, especially because I've reached sort of a pax with my naptimes.  You know how I like to rail and not go willingly to that afternoon sleep. If you don't know that about me, take my word for it.  I've pretty much resented naptime ever since I figured out that there are about a kajillion more fun things I could be doing during those hours. 

The thing of it is, I've gone a few days in a row without my nap, and I'm starting to get it when Mommy says that all Big People want is for somebody to tell them to take a nap in the afternoon.  So I don't give Mommy any hassle about it, anymore.  She takes me up to my room, we sit in the leather rocking chair, she reads me Curious George Goes to an Ice Cream Shop, and then she tucks me right in.  Just like that.  And I go to sleep and wake up feeling just pretty darned great, just in time for suppertime.

And speaking of supper, I'm really excited for suppers this summer.  See, last night, I got to eat the same thing Mommy and Daddy ate.  We had fish tacos, and I got one, all to myself.  Yes, I've been eating Big People food for quite some time, but usually for supper, I get mac-n-cheese and a hot dog and some mixed vegetables and applesauce, but last night, I got to eat fish tacos in real time, at the table with Mommy and Daddy, and did I ever feel like a big cheese.  Hey!  There as even taco cheese on my fish taco.  And black beans, and corn, and tomatoes and peppers!  And I loved it!  I couldn't believe that I was getting to eat honest-to-goodness Big People food WITH my Big People!!!

I'll help you, Friends!  Follow me to Happy!
I think that's just it, Friends.  Let's put this rough schoolyear behind us and get a good start on this summer.  We can't change what all happened from September until now, but we sure can make the most of every day from now until September.  It's all kinds of starting-fresh. 

Relaxing and recharging. 

Are you up for it, Friends? I sure am.  And don't you worry, Big People.  Your pal Zoe's gonna be with you every step of the way.  I'll help ya feel lots better.

Let's make Summer 2013 the Best Summer Ever.  We've earned it.

I love ya, Big People!  Big hugs and kisses!  Muah!

Muah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment