Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

I'm Lucky!

Pssssst.  Friends.  Do you know you're lucky?
Friends, have you ever heard of the Doctor Seuss book Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?  Well, it's one of my favorites.  First of all, there's a lot of readin' to it, and because I get to pick two books to read before my naptime, I like to pick the ones that have a lot of readin' to 'em.  I used to choose quick-readin' board books, but then I realized 'Hey!  Those short books are gettin' me down for a nap faster!' and I started combing my bookshelf for nice, wordriffic stories and books.  That's another reason why I love the Berenstain Bears so much.

Shhhhh.  Friends, I don't think Mommy's onto my trick yet, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't clue her on.  I've got a good thing going here, chomping into my naptime with extra-long books.  Please don't go and mention it to Mommy, or I'll be back to reading Sandra Boynton board books that are done in about four sentences.  That isn't enough time!

If ya know your own worth, you'll stop givin' discounts, Ali Sard!
But today, I'm talking about Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? because another reason that I just love that book is that it inspires me.  When I'm havin' a stinker of a day, that book reminds me that hey, it could be worse. 

It's schadenfreude for the sippy-cup set, really!

See, in the book, it tells about all these unfortunate people in unfortunate circumstances, carrying on in quiet desperation.  We're meant to feel bad for those people featured in the book, and be glad that our situations aren't as bad as theirs.  I feel the worst for poor Ali Sard, whose uncle makes him mow his enormous back yard with a push-mower, and the faster Ali mows, the faster the grass grows, and the uncle just pays two dooklas a day, so Ali has to put himself in an even more preposterous predicament on Sundays, when he paints flagpoles way up high.

I wish poor Ali could earn enough painting flagpoles to buy himself a nice riding lawnmower with a nice, wide cutting deck to take care of his uncle's back yard.  Or.  He could pick up some other landscaping jobs around the neighborhood, build up a good reputation for himself, start making some serious money, and then if his uncle wanted to keep him on, he'd have to pony up more dooklas a day.  Sure, he's family and all, that uncle, but really, it isn't a family privilege to get to pay someone a ridiculously piffulous sum for what amounts to a lotta work.  That's just called bein' cheap an' taking advantage of someone's family loyalty, so if poor Ali Sard could just get a few more gigs lined up, he could either make his uncle pay a fair wage, or his uncle could take to cutting his own grass.

I'm also glad I don't hafta be a Hawtch-Hawtcher Bee-Watcher-Watcher!  That'd be an awful job, just watching someone watch someone else who's watching a bee work.  Could you imagine the boredom that must pervade that workplace?

Yep! I have a lot to be happy I am, and a lot to be happy I'm not!
Or the poor fella who has a crazy house with lotsa stairs, and his bathroom's at the toppa one set of stairs, but his bedroom's down and up and around and through another set of stairs. 

I sure love that book, Friends.  It reminds me to be happy about all the things I'm not, but then I get to thinkin' more on the subject, and realize I have a lot to be happy I AM!  For instance, I'm happy I'm me.  I wouldn't wanna be anybody else.  I have enough to eat, and I have a warm place to sleep.  I have a lotta nice friends. I'm happy because I'm loved. 

I'm happy I'm... well, happy.  Not everybody gets to be that.

Yep, Friends.  On a stinker of a day, I read that book and realize not only could things be worse, but also and more importantly, I realize that I have things pretty darn good, by golly!  So if you're havin' a stinker of a day, Friends, maybe check out Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? and start feelin' a whole heapin' helpin' lot better. 

And remember that I love ya lots, Friends!  I'll see ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment