Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Put A Little FUN in Your Heart!

I mighta been too serious about Valentine's Day yesterday, Friends!
Hiya, Big People!  Well, after yesterday's post, I got to thinking that maybe it was time for me to get to work on my Valentine's Mailbox, too, after I admonished all of you not to phone it in.  So I'm workin' on a little something that involves Play-Doh.  That's all I can say.

I think, too, that I owe you an apology, Friends.  I know that Valentine's Day, just like any other holiday that you Big People get involved in, can become some kind of big stressful thing.  Nobody wants big, stressful things, especially on a holiday that's meant to be a nice way of sayin' "I care aboutchyoo!"

I have a lotta fun memories of my Valentine's Days So Far, actually.  I betchya didn't know that my Mommy heard my heartbeat for the very first time on Valentine's Day, back in '11.  It's true.  I actually don't remember much about that, but Mommy says I looked like a jelly bean with arms and legs, and I kept flipsying and flopsying around on the grainy black and white picture she was watching of me, and my heartbeat was 140 beats a minute. 

Remember, it's the thought that counts!
In my opinion, that's kind of an epic way to break into the Valentine's Day game, having your Mommy hear your heartbeat for the first time. 

But that doesn't mean I feel like Valentine's Day ought to be this Big Epic Thing every year.  I really don't, Friends.  Here's what I was trying to get to yesterday, and it came off like a big "Don't mess this up!" admonishment, which only adds to your stress, Big People.  What I really meant to say is this: Valentine's Day falls smack in the middle of February, which is a cold month among months of cold.  We're all kinda frazzled and frayed.  We're all dreamin' of warmer days and green grass and bird-songs.  And here we are, still stuck in the deep-freeze. 

So instead of making Valentine's Day a day where you feel like you've got to be obligated to do something BIG like have a man in a gorilla costume deliver eleventy-seven long-stemmed roses to your main squeeze, remember that simple things count, too.  I think even a macaroni necklace and a construction paper heart that says "I think you're tops!" is great, if that's all you can muster for Valentine's Day, and if your main squeeze gets all mad over a macaroni necklace and a construction paper heart, then they're just missing the point, Friends.  They're in it for something else, I think.  I don't know what, but they shouldn't get mad over something you made and put a lotta thought and feeling into.  Not everybody can afford a man in a gorilla costume delivering eleventy-seven long-stemmed roses.

And frankly, I don't get what's so neat about a gorilla with flowers turning up at your house or office anyway.  A six-foot chicken, maybe... No.  Not a six-foot chicken, either.

I'm single for Valentine's Day, too!  Unless Prince Tuesday's available...
Now, if you're like me, and celebrating Valentine's Day in the absence of a main squeeze (Single and loving it, Babies!), don't feel blue.  Don't let Valentine's Day make ya feel like you hafta have a main squeeze in order to be happy.  Be happy with yourself.  Insteadda lookin' at all the people who are getting flowers and chocolates- obligatory flowers and chocolates in some cases, take stock of what you DO have!  Do ya have friends?  Do ya have people ya care about?

Well, there ya go! Get yourself a boxa Valentines from the store, fill 'em out like ya used to when you were in school, and deliver 'em to your friends and coworkers who you care about.  Just a little note to say 'Today's Valentine's Day!  I think you're cool!"  Think about it, Friends!  What's more exciting than gettin' a real note on your desk, in this Age of Emails?  I sure can't think of much that's more exciting than that!

I just don't want my friends feelin' bad on Valentine's Day.  It's a holiday all about the heart.  It isn't a time to get in spats because this one or that one "messed up" Valentine's Day.  If all you can do is staple a doily to a paperbag and tape it to your desk to use as your Valentine's Day mailbox, then that's what you need to do.  But do it from a place of FUN in your heart, Friends, not all "grrrrrrrrr!  I'm a grown-up!  I hate Valentine's Day!"

That's it, Friends!  This Valentine's Day, how about we all put a little FUN in our hearts?

I love ya!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment