Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

...So Apparently It Isn't a 'Loop' We're Skipping To

Messin' up lyrics seems to be a thing with me.
Friends, remember how yesterday, I was talkin' about my favorite pioneer song called 'Skip to My Loop?'  Remember how I made up that whole new verse to it, and it made a lot of sense, and also, it was like it was meant to be, because I skipped to Donut Dude's and had a loop-shaped buttermilk donut- with glaze on it, too- it was DEEEEEEEELICIOUS!  I literally skipped to my loop!

And the whole world seemed to make a little more sense?

As it turns out, I had it all wrong.  The song isn't called 'Skip to My Loop.'  It's a song called 'Skip to My Lou.'  Donut Dude was the one to tell me.  I hoped that Donut Dude's real name was Lou or Louis or Lewis... Even Luigi!  You could call a person named Luigi 'Lou,' especially if they resent being asked if they've ever heard of the Super Mario Brother named Luigi. 

But Donut Dude's real name isn't Lou, and that's a real bummer.  If it were, I coulda saved face in the midst of the failure of my enthusiasm.  I coulda at least skipped to my friend Lou's donut shop.  I'm still tryin' how to figure out how to put skipping to Harold Otto Dudakov's donut shop into song form.

See why he goes by "Donut Dude?"  I would too, with that moniker.

This was my face when I found out I misunderstood the song.
Anyway, what I really did yesterday was skip to embarrassment on a sidewalk paved with false notions of what the song was about. 

Donut Dude broke the news to me as gently as he could, that I had the song all wrong.  Still, I was so embarrassed I wanted to put an empty Box'o'Joe over my head and hide my face all day.  I really did. 

I came back to the dang ol' office and started fillin' in my TPS reports when it dawned on me:

Sure, I got the words all wrong and misunderstood to an existing pioneer song, but more importantly, I made a whole NEW song outta new words and an old tune, kinda like making a little speaker outta some wire and an old Altoids tin.  I recycled that old song, upcycled it, and made it into an anthem for us pioneers of the Digital Age.

What I really did was make a whole new song with the same tune!
Should that be 'we' pioneers of the Digital Age?  Do you know?  You know, you can really get hung up on the finer points of grammar and usage, if you let yourself, Friends, and if you're tryin' to make a final draft and first draft, all in one, without the plans to revise, a lotta great ideas can get lost, while you're quibblin' over grammar with yourself.  That's why I'm a firm believer in revisions.  Revise, revise, revise, and it'll save your ideas' lives!

I'm on fire.  I really am.

Anyway, what started out as an embarrassing situation, misunderstanding song lyrics, turned into a GREAT situation.  I realized I made uppa new song!  Ha!  How about that?!

Just goes to show ya, Friends, that when something seems bad, if ya just look at it from a different angle, you find out it really isn't.

Hey, I'll see ya tomorrow, Big People!  I love ya lots!  Remember- don't get discouraged, mmmmkay?  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment