Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Water Ice Versus Italian Ice

Is it 'Water Ice,' or is it 'Italian Ice?' Do you know?
Hiya, Big People!  How's your Friday?  You know what, with all this heat, I've been thinking about cold treats and came upon a debate between 'Italian Ice' and 'Water Ice.'  It's very pertinent to my situation right now, because the other night, Mommy said we ought to get some Water Ice, and I thought 'huh?' and Daddy flat-out said "Call it Italian Ice.  It never made sense to me calling it 'Water Ice.'  What other kind of ice is there?"

And Mommy being Mommy started to list off all the different kinds of ice there could conceivably be.  For those of ya followin' along at home, Big People, my Mommy's kind of a nerd and she hasn't forgotten much of anything she's read since she was my age, and apparently, she once read a science book about all the different types of ice.  Please don't engage her in this conversation, Friends.  I love ya too much to let her bore ya nearly to death like she did me and Daddy over this Water Ice thing.
Call it whatchya want- I call it delicious!

Anyway, anything with 'Ice' in its name sounds pretty darned great to me in this weather, so I got to lookin' around on the World Wide Web to see which of my parents was right.  Is this delightful frozen treat 'Italian Ice' or is it 'Water Ice?'

Well, first of all, I needed to find out what the heck I was looking at, with this 'Ice Storm' of sorts.  I found my answer right here in this article.  It's pretty darned informative, differentiating between granitas, Sno Cones, sorbets, shaved ice (known as 'shave ice' in Hawaii!), and Ice Pops.  And I'll tell ya what, I'd like to try all of those ice treats, especially the coffee granita!  But that really informative article didn't tell me which of my folks was right on the Italian Ice / Water Ice bit. 

For the answer to that, I had to embark on an Indiana Jones-like crusade for knowledge!
Nothin' like a sugar rush on a hot summer night!

Unfortunately, what I found out was that Italian Ice and Water Ice are the same exact thing, but that Big People like to argue about whether it's Italian Ice or if it's Water Ice, and whoever wins the argument gets all the credibility.  Big People, why are you like that? 

So this is what I've decided: if you wanna call the frozen treat that involves fruity flavor incorporated in super-fine ice granules 'Water Ice' or 'Wudder Ice', be my guest.  If ya like calling it 'Italian Ice,' molto bene, amici!

I say call it whatchya want, Big People.  For myself, I'm deciding to call it 'Water Ice.'  Easier to say.  Just rolls off the tongue.  'Course, in my present speech pattern, it sounds more like 'Wahgur Iyess!' 

Whatever.  I think we can all agree that it's delicious.  And if you don't agree, go get yourself maybe some Iyess Cream and don't be cranky and try to fire up an argument with me about whether or not Water Ice is any good.  I'm not going to play the Big People Quibbling Over Semantics and Other Stuff that Ultimately Doesn't Matter Game.  You Big People are a tetchy lot.

And besides, I'm off to play some Parcheesi in the club car.

I love ya, Big People!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment