Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Skip to My Loop, My Darlin'!

Lost my partner!  WhaddoIdo?
Friends, you know how much I like music.  I like it all.  I really do.  I like to keep an open mind on the music, because I find out that when I say "Oh, I don't like such-and-such kinda music," without fail, I'll hear a song that just blows my doors off, and I'll say 'I LOVE this song!  What kinda music is this?!' and my friends will say, 'It's the such-and-such kinda music you hate, remember?'

You know what they say about eatin' your words, Friends.  I do it all the time, and I've found I like 'em with a little sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar on top, if I'm in the mood for something sweet, or with just a soupcon to Buck's All-Purpose Seasoning, if I'm hankerin' more for savory words.

Oh, yeah!  I skip to my loop, my darlin'!
So I don't write off any genre of music as unlikeable anymore, Friends.  I love it all.  I even love pioneer music.

One of my favorite pioneer songs is called "Skip to My Loop," and I love it so much because it's fulla practical advice:

Gotta fly in your buttermilk? Shoo-fly, shoo!
Gotta red wagon?  Paint that baby blue!
Can't get a red bird?  Well, by golly, a Jay-bird will do!
Lost your partner?  Chin up, Buttercup!  Just get another partner!  It's not the end of the world!

And then you skip to my loop, whatever that is!  

Skip to My Loop teaches me that there's no problem so big it needs to ruin my day!
You see, to me, 'Skip to My Loop' is a song about unflappable optimism, and it's got a good dancin' beat that makes me want to do a jig or a reel, which is really remarkable, considering that I can't say that I've ever seen anybody do a jig or a reel.  It's just a feeling I get whenever I hear that song.

It also makes me really, really want a drink of buttermilk.  I love that stuff!  It's great in pancakes, biscuits, even donuts!  It must be good, because even flies love it, but nobody wants a fly in their buttermilk.  Flies are gross.

How did I wind up down this rabbit hole, friends?  ... You know what I think it was?  mentioning the buttermilk things made me realize I'm both hungry and thirsty.  It's been a little while since I got to enjoy food.  A coupla hours.  There ought to be a verse to Skip to My Loop that goes something along the lines of: 'I'm so hungry, gonna have some soup!  I'm so hungry, just a little noodle soup!  I'm so starved, I just might fly the coop! Skip to my Loop, my darlin'!'

Did I just make up a verse to my favorite pioneer song?  I think I did!  Well, that settles it!  I'm going to Donut Dude's to celebrate bein' a lyricist now!  I'm gonna have a buttermilk donut, too!  And donuts are kind of loop-shaped!  The donuts that don't have a filling inside are loop-shaped!  It was meant to be!  I'm gonna skip!

I'm gonna skip to my loop, Friends!  I hope you find such clarity for yourself today!  I love ya lots!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment