Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Dancing Queen

I like the way Hula Dancing tells a story!
Hiya, Friends!  As you know, I love to dance.  Dancing is my thing.  When I'm happy, I dance.  When I'm sad, I dance to make myself feel better.  When I'm nervous, I dance to burn off extra energy.

If you were to ask me what kinds of dances are my favorite, I'd hafta say all of them.  You know, there's just a whole world out there, and so many ways to dance that it's hard to pick just one. 

Right now, Hula Dancing is pretty new to me.  I decided to learn it when I went on my recent vacation.  I didn't go to Hawaii, but I DID go to a lake house.  It doesn't matter that the lake house was in central New York State and not the Land of Aloha.  Aloha is a frame of mind you can take anywhere with you, so I took my Aloha to Seneca Lake and decided to learn to Hula Dance.

I like the way Hula Dancing tells a story.  You use your arms and hands to tell a story about palm trees waving in the breeze, or the ocean, or volcanoes.  Since where I live and where I've vacationed so far doesn't have those things, but I like to Hula Dance, I adapt the dancing to suit my situation.  When I tell a story with my Hula Dance, I tell a story about maple trees, and creeks, and windy days.  I talk about thunderstorms and cows in the yard!

Dance like nobody's watching, Friends!
Purists would frown on the way I adapt my Hula Dancing to suit what I know.  They'd say it isn't True Hula.  Well, to that I say that's just fine.  I'm not out to win any Authentic Hula Dancing For Little White Girls From the Snowbelt awards.  You know what I'm saying?  I think the true spirit of Aloha and Hula allows for little kids like me to make it my own.  'This is Zoe's own hula dance," I think.  And I think the gods and goddesses of the dance smile.

I'm not trying to come off like I'm from Hawaii.  I just love the way Hawaiians are so friendly and inclusive, and I think their dancing is beautiful.  I like to learn about their culture, and try to learn how to be more Hawaiian in the sense of sharing the spirit of Aloha with the people I know, that I think my way of dancing is more authentic than if I'm trying to be somebody I'm not.  So I don't apologize for my Hula Fusion.

What I'm trying to say today, Friends, is that I think it's great to dance as though nobody's watching.  If you love the way a certain dance makes you feel, like I love how hula dancing makes me feel like I'm on vacation, no matter where I am or what I'm doing, then you go ahead and do your dance and don't listen to the criticizers.  Their criticism says more about them than it says about you, and you can tell 'em your pal Zoe says so!  I love ya, Friends!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment