Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Hockey Fangirl

I can't wait for hockey season!
Hiya, Friends!  As you know, I'm a hockey fan.  Well, maybe you don't know.  I haven't talked about it with you in a long while.  Maybe I have.  I can't remember.  Sometimes I get things mixed up, whether I've talked about them over on the Facebook AND over here on the blog, or if I've just talked about something on one venue or the other.

So if you DON'T know, if you're somehow unaware of it, now you know.  I'm a lifelong fan of the Buffalo Sabres. 

I'll never forget the first hockey game I ever saw.  It was the Sabres.  They were playing the Anaheim Ducks in Helsinki, Finland.  Kevin Sylvester ate an eel on a stick during the pre-game show.  I remember this, because I was two days shy of being a month old, and Mommy, Daddy, and I were waiting at our Jeep dealership for them to do some minor fixes on our Red Jeep.  The game was at a funny time of day for a Friday hockey game: One o'clock in the afternoon. 

I dressed like Sabretooth today!
I remember all this, because at the time, I would eat every coupla hours, so at the beginning of the game, I enjoyed a Little Bottle of my Similac.  ... You know, I kinda miss that stuff.  I liked Similac! ... Anyway, I enjoyed my first bottle of Similac as the game started, and at first, it was a little weird to me.  But I started following along.  I fell under the spell of the play-by-play fellow's voice.  I'd never seen anything like that hockey game.

We got to watch that whole entire hockey game at the dealership that day, and the Buffalo Sabres won!  I was hooked, and I was delighted to find out that in just a coupla nights, I got to watch again!  This time, I was at my own house, and I got to see the hockey game on the bigscreen television, and I could finally see the little black dot those boys were chasing after!

It was so exciting, I can't even begin to tell you, but I'll try.  IT WAS REALLY EXCITING, BIG PEOPLE!!!

I learned the name of the fellow who does the play-by-play calls.  He's Rick Jeanneret!  And the way he describes what's going on in the game, I understand it!

How many more weeks 'til hockey?
These days, now that I've listened to and watched dozens, maybe even a couple hundred hockey games since that first one I saw back when I was almost a month old, whenever I hear Rick Jeanneret's voice, I say "Hockey!!!"  Honestly, I think of RJ as family.

And "Hockey" was one of my very first words I ever said!  How about that?!

So now that it's the middle of August, I'm getting kinda itchy for Hockey Season to start.  Lotsa things have changed in Buffalo.  New buncha coaches.  Some new players.  RJ's only gonna call three more seasons before he retires for real.  That means all of us, fans, listeners, the players... we've all gotta make the most of it, so RJ can go out with a bang.  I would love to see Rick Jeanneret get to have the Stanley Cup over for dinner! 

Heck, I'd love to get to invite Rick Jeanneret over for dinner, and we could eat ice cream from the Stanley Cup.  That'd just be GREAT!

My name is Zoe, and I'm a hockey fangirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment