Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles!

The ol' soap-a-dope trick.
Hiya, Friends!  You know what?  For as pretty as bubbles are, they sure don't taste very good!  How do I know?  Well, I'll tell ya!

You see, I've been fascinated with bubbles for over half my life.  I have bubbles when I take a bath.  In the warmer weather, my Big People blow bubbles for me, or sometime, we even get to use the bubble machine!  I even have a lawnmower that'll blow bubbles for me, and I think that's pretty rad!

But I've been wanting to expand my bubbly horizons and learn to blow bubbles myself, so I took the wand out of the bucket of solution, put it up to my lips, and blew. 

Friends, I didn't know that you're not s'posed to put the bubble wand right on your mouth, so I had bubble solution all over my lips.  It tastes SOAPY!

Now that's a flavor that's not delicious!
I'm not sure what I expected bubbles to taste like.  I didn't expect 'em to taste like soap.  I'm a little kid.  I can be excused for thinking things are going to taste differently than they do, based on how they look.

I guess if I really had to say what I thought bubbles would taste like, I'd probably say I thought bubbles would be sweet, kind of like sugar, either simple or maple, depending on your bubble solution.  They're so pretty and floaty and iridescent that I'd think they'd be sweet!

I certainly wouldn't expect 'em to burn the ol' eyes when they pop near your face.

I guess I'd file my knowledge under wiser, but sadder that bubbles are not sweet like sugar or syrup, and that they make your eyes sting if you try to catch one to eat it, and it pops near your face. 

I think I'm gonna go get some icy-peem now!
The older I get, the more of those moments I have, that make me wiser, but also sadder.  Do you ever get that, Friends?  I bet you do.  It seems to be part of the human condition.  It seems to be a condition of growing up and learning the way the world works.

I'm not going to let it get me down, though, Friends.  I still love bubbles, and I'm just gonna accept that they're made of soap, that they DO burn the eyes if they pop near your eyes, that they don't taste like sugar, and that you can't lick the bubble wand while you're trying to blow bubbles.  I'll learn to accept bubbles on their own terms, and I hope they accept me on my terms. 

That's my game-plan, Big People!  So off I go!  I'm forever blowing bubbles!

Well, maybe first, I'll go eat something nice 'n' sweet, to get this soapy taste off my lips!

No comments:

Post a Comment