Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Zoe's Kiddie Menu Hack

My favorite vegetable and fruit are all of 'em!
Well, hiya, Friends!  Happy Wednesday to you!

Hey, if you remember anything about me, back when I was a Tiny Baby, it's that I really looked forward to eatin' off the menu in restaurants, insteadda havin' Similac or little tubs of pureed peaches Mommy brought me from home. 

I always thought there was something so glamorous and delicious about restaurant food, even though I wasn't allowed to have any of my very own for what felt like a LIFETIME.  Friends, I'll tell ya what.  I will never, ever forget the first time I actually go to order something off the menu in a restaurant.  It was Jell-O at the dang ol' Texas Hot in Downtown Wellsville.  It was red Jell-O, with a generous helping of whipped cream on top.  It was the best thing ever!

Once I got past the stage where all's I could do was gum bananas, though, I noticed something disconcerting about a lotta Kid's Menus in restaurants where I go.  A lot of 'em are a choice of Hot Dog, Hamburger (or Cheeseburger), Mac-N-Cheese, Chicken Nuggets (or Chicken Fingers, or Spaghetti.  Sometimes, you can get little steak medallions off a Kid's Menu.  At the Red Lobster, you can get a piece of tilapia fish. In a lotta places, to go with those entree choices, the Kid's Menu offers sides such as French Fries, broccoli, apples-n-grapes, applesauce, or cottage cheese.  Red Robin has an excellent fruit salad.

Thing of it is, I can't help but notice that restaurants are heavy on the breaded chicken foods and mac-n-cheese, and I understand that a lotta Little Kids don't like vegetables, but they love cheese and noodles and breading.  I am not like a lotta Little Kids.  I love fruits and vegetables. 

So here's what I do.  I've gotten so I don't usually bother with the Kiddie Menu, unless I'm at the dang ol' Red Lobster.  There, I get myself a piece of tilapia fish, a little house salad, and orange wedges off the Kiddie Menu.  I hafta ask for the little house salad separate, but it's so worth it.  At other places, I ask for a little house salad (with lotsa grape tomatoes if they don't mind, but if they do mind, that's all right) and a side of whatever their finest Kiddie Menu fruit is, and then I just figure if there's anything intriguing on Mommy or Daddy's plate, I'll just have a coupla bites of that.  Restaurants always bring a lot more food out to people than they really ought to be eatin', anyways. 

This is a win-win, you know, because I get to try foods that aren't chicken nuggets and mac-n-cheese, Mommy doesn't hafta feel like a loser for asking for a to-go box and then forgetting it, because I usually eat enough off her plate to render the to-go box useless.  And I get to have vegetables. 

I know there's other Little Kids like me out there, Friends, and I just want 'em to know that it's okay to be underwhelmed by the Kid's Menu choices.  It's okay to ask for your own thing.  Nobody ever gave a Little Kid a dirty look for askin' for more fruits and vegetables!

Come to think of it, I don't think anybody would throw shade at a Big Person for doing the same, either!

I love ya lots, Friends!  I'll see ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment