Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Butterfly!

Butterflies are like flying flowers, Friends!
Hiya, Big People!  Happy Wednesday to you! 

Well, ya know, I am an avid reader, and also an ardent admirer of butterflies, and I've been learnin' a lot about butterflies lately. 

Did you even know that butterflies hatch from eggs and spend the first part of their lives as little worms called caterpillars?  It's true!  And those caterpillars eat and eat and eat and eat! 

This process is detailed in detail in the informative Eric Carle book The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  Boyo boy, can those little caterpillars eat!

When they get tired of eatin', the caterpillars hook themselves onto a leaf and spin a chrysalis around themselves, and something magical happens.  The caterpillar goes from being a worm to becoming a butterfly!

Monarch butterflies travel thousands of miles in what's called a migration.  They go there and not quite back again, but their butterfly kids end up finishin' up the journey.  The butterflies I saw in the butterfly room at the Museum of Play live for only about two weeks.

All butterflies have this tube that they roll out so they can drink nectar.   That fascinates me.  That essentially means that butterflies carry a crazy straw with 'em at all times, and I really admire that kind of preparedness!

I had a butterfly land on me at the Museum of Play, and it was such a life-changing experience for me, like the first time I met Nora the Little Giraffe, four years ago.  I've had butterflies on my bedding ever since I was born, but I didn't really appreciate them until that one landed on me.  I think butterflies and I are gonna be life-long pals.

 I think you and I are also gonna be life-long pals, Big People!  I love ya lots, and I'll be seein' ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment