Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Promise Me I'll Be Back In Time!

Oh, my goodness, yesterday was November Fifth!
Hiya, Friends!  With all the excitement of Election Day yesterday, I forgot to mention that yesterday, November Fifth, was the fifty-eighth anniversary of Dr. Emmett Brown inventing the Flux Capacitor, which, as you know, is the device that allows us to travel forwards and backwards in time.

Or it would allow us to travel backwards and forwards in time if the technology hadn't been lost in a train crash off Eastwood Ravine near Hill Valley, California in 1895/1985. 

That train crash sure was an unfortunate thing for me, considering if I had one of Dr. Brown's Flux Capacitors, I could go back in time and write this blog post yesterday, so we could talk about the fifty-eighth anniversary of the invention of the Flux Capacitor. 

What's that, you say? How could it be fifty-eight years?

Well, as you know, it was on November Fifth, 1955 that Dr. Emmett Brown was trying to hang a clock in his bathroom.  The porcelain was wet, he slipped, hit his head, and when he came to, he had the idea for how to build a Flux Capacitor.  It's 2013, and as we don't have that time travel technology anymore, the year IS relevant.  Take away 1955 from 2013, and you're left with fifty-eight.  True story!

It got me to thinkin' about how much things have changed since good ol' 1955.  Because they sure have.  In 1955, people usedta drive on things called roads, in things called automobiles.  Their skateboards rolled on little wheels and stayed on the ground instead of hovering.  They used things called telephones to communicate with friends, family, and business associates not located within yelling distance.  They ate meatloaf.

Um.

Things sure have changed since good ol' 1955!
I didn't expect that turn things just took.  Actually, those things are much the same as they are these days.  Why, just the other day, I ate some meatloaf.  I used a telephone!  I rode in a car with its wheels on the road.  I didn't get to use a skateboard, because Mommy says no, but I've watched big kids ride skateboards, and for the most part, they don't hover.  Not for very long, anyway.  I mean, not like a hover-board.

Hoverboards rack up some SERIOUS air-time.

Okay.  So I suppose maybe things here in The Future aren't THAT much different from the way they were in 1955.  Not the basics of those things.  But with the exception of meatloaf, those things I mentioned HAVE changed that much since 1955.

For instance, I've noticed the automobiles at car shows from 1955.  They were shaped differently than they are today.  They sounded different.  They smelled different!  Not to mention those epic fins those old cars had!

And telephones!  Our telephones are tiny, and we can carry them with us wherever we go.  In 1955, they were big, black telephones, and they had DIALS, and when you got done talking to someone, you put the receiver back on the cradle and said 'There!'  Now, ya just push a button, and 'Boop!' conversation over!

Besides that, we have all these computers!  I betchya people from 1955 wouldn't believe a computer if they saw it with their own eyes!

Why, even skateboards are different, compared to the ones they had in 1955!  According to my studying of vintage visual, skateboards in 1955 were wooden boards, nailed to wooden potato crates, with little metal wheels.  Compared to that getup, I betchya today's skateboards DO feel like hoverboards!

It's all about perspective, Friends!

I'd like a poodle skirt, pair of saddle shoes, and a big chocolate malt when I go to 1955!
Anyway, even though the Flux Capacitor technology has been forgotten to us, and we can't go back in time in Deloreans and see Old Man Peabody's wondrous pine trees, or even to when every song on the radio was by Huey Lewis and the News, I didn't think it was right for us to forget Doctor Emmett Brown and his wondrous invention.  Maybe one of these days, some other genius mad scientist will be hanging a clock in his bathroom and slip on wet porcelain, and re-discover how to make a Flux Capacitor.

Even though it's a day late, Doctor Emmett Brown, here's to ya!

Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment