Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Techo Rewind: Records for Little Kids

I'm not even allowed to touch my CDs and DVDs, let alone an LP and phonograph needle!
Friends, have you ever heard of the MiniPops?  Waaaaaay back in the EARLY 1980s, they sang a song called "Stupid Cupid" that shot to the top of the charts.  And it was sang by little kids.  And my Mommy had that record.  It was a BIG LP record, she says, and she wasn't much older than me when she'd play it on her very own record player. 

In fact, Mommy says that she had a buncha little books that came with records, and she could change her records and listen to them all on her own, without Gramma's help, when she was mere months older than me.

I'm not making fun of these giant vinyl LPs, Friends.  I'm not laughing about you Big People for living in times during which you listened to these on record players that required needles.  Today, I'm marveling that my Mommy and her generation were allowed to touch these kinds of things, use them as their own, independently!

I have CDs, Friends.  I have DVDs.  I even have a CD player in my bedroom.  It's a combo jobby- CD player, alarm clock, Hello Kitty objet d'art. Do you think I'm allowed to put CDs in that Hello Kitty CD player?  No.  Do you think Mommy even wants me touchin' my CDs?  Do you think Mommy lets me get out my own DVDs and put them in the player without hyperventilating?  Noperoo.  I'm allowed to bring my CDs and DVDs to Mommy for HER to put into the machines.

So I hafta marvel that my Mommy was allowed to handle these super-fragile records when she was my age, and that she was allowed to use a thing with a needle on it to play these records. 

I think the technology I'm mourning the loss of today is parents who trusted their kids with cool record players and needles and records.  So there's some technology I'd love to see us rewind to.  How about that, Friends?!

No comments:

Post a Comment