Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Zoe's Techno Rewind: July 15: Get In Shape Girl!

Gettin' in shape, '80s style, but without the rhythmic ribbon. I wanna rhythmic ribbon.
Friends!  For today's Techno Rewind Tuesday, I wanna hafta talk to you about a really cool thing... no, I'm not making fun of you and saying it's cool and then letting you find out I meant it's Macarena cool.  I mean I think what I'm about to talk to you about is really, honest-to-goodness COOL! And I wish they still made 'em so I could have one!

I'm talking about "Get In Shape Girl" fitness kits for girls.  If you weren't a little girl in the 80s, you might not know what Get In Shape Girl was all about, so I'll tell ya!  Get in Shape Girl kits included workout equipment like ankle and hand weights, rhythmic ribbons, LEGWARMERS AND SWEAT BANDS!!!, jump ropes, hula hoops- that kind of thing, and then a cassette tape with a workout routine using the included workout equipment. 

If you still need context, think about the FIRM workout kits from the Gaiam Era, when they started adding their own FIRM weights, balance balls, balance discs, and yoga mats to the DVDs, instead of hawking their version of the Step.  Gimmicky?  Yes.  Fun?  Most certainly.

I've eyeballed Mommy's FIRM gear down in our gymnasium in the basement.  I really wanna get my hands on those FIRM weights, but Mommy says I'm too little.  Which is why I really, truly lament that I missed Get In Shape Girl.  I wouldn't give ya a broken shoelace to have been a part of the VHS era, but I really envy the Get In Shape Girl kits.

I'm really wishing I had a rhythmic ribbon.  That's the true, beating heart of this matter.

You know what?  Maybe I'll make my own Get In Shape Girl series, but with DVDs insteadda audio cassette tapes.  I'll call it Shimmy-n-Shake with Zoe! and I'll include optional equipment like rhythmic ribbons, pompoms, tutu skirts, light-up tiaras, hand weights that have a little heft to 'em, for us toddlers who actually wanna tone our muscles and not just go through the motions, rattly weights to shake for the Shake part of Shimmy-n-Shake.  Oh, you know what?  I'll have little jingly bells sewn on all the Zoe-branded tutu skirts.  That'll add a little sparkle to the Shimmy portion of the workouts.  It'll all be focused on fun.  The fun of getting in shape by shimmying and shaking like I do. 

In the interest of bein' holistic about it, I probably ought to include a meal plan for people to follow.  Umm... I don't know the particulars, but you can definitely plan on my meal plan including spinach and PEZ.

So this Techno-Rewind Tuesday has me thinkin' about how I could bring Get In Shape Girl to the Future.  Maybe this old technology is pretty useful still, after all!  I love ya, Friends!  See ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment