Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Half a Dozen Low-Effort Halloween Costumes for the Spirit-Challenged

Minimal Costume, Maximum Style.
Hiya, Friends!  Today, you might notice that I'm dressed up as a very stylish cowgirl.  Now, granted, on any given day, you might find me dressed as a stylish cowgirl, or a doctor, or a ballerina, or... well, you get the picture.  This girl is not afraid to costume.

But I understand that not everyone is as comfortable in costume as I am.  I think that as people get older, sometimes they lose the ability to have fun, but 'tis the season when we get invited to costume-themed soirees if we're lucky, and it's socially acceptable to walk around in costume at our places of employment.

With that last point in mind, I think it's BRILLIANT to use a refrigerator box to dress up AS A REFRIGERATOR! but it could lead to all kinds of practical difficulties as you go about your usual, but Halloween-enhanced- day on the Thirty-First!  So here we go.  Half a dozen fun costume ideas that won't send ya runnin' to Spirit Halloween, won't render it difficult to do your work or go to the bathroom, or require you to wear make-up that could make your face itch or smear on things.

1.  Get a sweatshirt and some iron-on letters.  Iron on the letters that spell "GO CEILING" to the front of your sweatshirt.  Then get a coupla pompoms or spirit shakers like they hand out at sporting events, and voyla: you're a Ceiling Fan.

2.  If you're tall and skinny, get yourself an all-green outfit. Put it on.  You're a String Bean.

3.  Borrow my idea from today's picture, and put on some nice blue jeans, a shirt, a cowboy hat, and a pair of cowboy boots.  Feel free to accessorize further.  You can be a cowboy or cowgirl.  Even if you usually dress like this, in the Everyday.

4.  Safety-Pin a bunch of socks to your regular clothes.  Put on your regular clothes.  You're Static Cling.

4.  Now, this one takes a little bit of pre-work on your part, but I thought of this one myself (I think), and I'm pretty proud of it.  Gather up a buncha magazines and cut out pictures of food, hairdos, outfits, houses, decorating schemes, products... see where I'm going with this?  Now, affix those pictures to a set of your regular, but preferably monochromatic clothes.  Congratulations!  You've just become Pinterest!

5.  Dress in all black.  Make uniformly-sized square icons.  Affix them in neat rows on the front of your shirt.  You're an iPhone Home Screen.

My final low-effort costume inspiration is my favorite, mainly because Mommy's done this a coupla times when we've been out-n-about on Halloween and she hasn't been in a readily-apparent costume:

6.  Wear your regular clothes.  If someone asks you where your costume is, say, "I'm Don Quixote.  Can't you see my armor?  I can!"  If they look at you funny, suggest to them that they read Don Quixote.  OR if you're really evangelical about them reading Don Quixote, have some copies of the book on hand to hand out.  Or, if you're evangelical about reading, but are capable of managing your expectations, maybe a bunch of Cliff's Notes on Don Quixote or the printed out Wikipedia page about Don Quixote would be a better hand-out option. 

Trick or treat!  Hahahahaha!

So, Friends.  Re-read through my list, and then pick your favorite, or even better, come up with your own low-effort Halloween costume.  I'll betchya a Zagnut that your very own creativity is percolating now!

I love ya lots, Friends, and if you join me tomorrow, I'll tell ya how to pick some good give-outs for the trick-or-treaters.  Does that sound great?  Well, then.  It's a date!  See ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment