Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2015

As American as Apple Pie-n-Beauty Queens!

I'll just let the irony of this sink in.
Hiya, Friends!  Happy Saturday to you!

Say, since it's Memorial Day Weekend, I figured I'd be patriotic and wear my red-white-n-blue outfit today.  Then, because I was bored and I saw it sparkling, I added my silver sequin tiara to my outfit, and I look quite striking, if I say so myself.  Which I do, because I just did.

Anyway, it struck me as a little bit ironic, wearin' a patriotic-themed outfit with a tiara.  I've recently been reading up on American History in my Little Big Board Book of the History of All Things, and evidently, there as a fairly large scuffle over here, over this very thing... sorta.

You see, before this country was the United States of America, it was a collection of colonies that belonged to England, and it was ruled over by whomever was the King of England at the time.  Sometimes, the King was a Queen, but most of the time, he was a King.

The Colonists over here didn't like being bossed around from afar, and they wanted to rule themselves and not have a King.  Or a Queen.  They wanted to elect their leaders and not let any one person run away with all the power.  So diplomatic relations broke down, shots were fired, independences were declarated, and just like that, here's the United States of America. 

With no King or Queen to rule them.

So what do we do?  A hundred and fifty years after all that, with the rebels and red-coats, we invent the Miss America beauty pageant, crown the winner a Beauty Queen, and say it's American as apple pie.

I'm three.  Can I really be alone in puzzling over the irony in all of this?  Big People?

Anyways.  I still think the sparkly tiara goes really well with my red-white-and-blue outfit today.  I'm not going to read in any more ironic messages in it.  I'm just going to appreciate the way the tiara makes me look taller and how it catches the light.  It's a fashion statement.  Nothing more.

Hey.  I love ya lots.  I'll see ya tomorrow.  It's Memorial Day Weekend.  Take some time to remember, Friends.  You know what I'm talking about.  I love ya lots.  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment