Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Transitions Are Tough!

I am a master of the non-sequitur.
Hiya, Friends! 

Hey, do you know someone who has a hard time bridging the gap from one subject to the next?  Does someone you care about struggle with the segue?

Boyo boy, do I ever understand and get it. 

I'm not here to sell ya any solution to the problem of the herky-jerky segue.  Nope!  I'm just here to commiserate today.  Whenever I'm called upon to make a conversation flow gently from one topic to another, I've taken to just introducing a third, completely - and I mean come-PUH-leeeeet-leee- new, unrelated topic into the mix and hoping it all just shakes out.

Because of this, Mommy calls me the Master of the Non-Sequitur. 

I'm not sayin' my method's the best, but here's how it works.  Mommy and a grown-up friend of hers are talking about how nasty the birds are this year (Psssst- they're super-nasty!)  I want to talk about getting somebody to take me to a store so I can buy more PEZ candies.  I'm all out of PEZ candies, and that's very distressing for me, but I don't know how to get the grown-ups off this insipid conversation about the nasty birds, so here's how it goes:

Grownups: "Blah, blah, blah, they made a mess of the car, blah, blah, blah, we should get a cat or soemthing, blah, blah, blah." (stops to take a breath, and this is key)

Me:  "I have the Octopod from the Octonauts, and it has a buncha the Gups with it!"

At this point, the grownups will look at me and smile like you grownups do when a Little Kid interrupts.  Whatever.  I'm on a mission.

Mommy: "Honey, the grownups are talking.  What does your Octopod have to do with the birds we're talking about?"

Me: "Nothing!  I want to go to the store and get some more PEZ!  Right now, Mommy!"

And that's that.

I don't always get to go to the store to get more PEZ, but nine times out of ten, at least I've successfully derailed the conversation about the dang ol' birds.  Or whatever the Big People were talking about.

Well, it's because Little Kids just don't get any respect, and transitions are tough.  That's all.  Hey.  I'll see ya tomorrow, Big People.  I love ya lots!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment