Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Chickener The Egg

Let's see, which came first: the chicken or the egg?
Hiya, Friends!

Recently, I heard a question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

At first, I thought "Oh, this is easy!" and then immediately after that, I thought, "I'd like a milkshake right now!"

But back to the question at hand.  Which DID come first, Big People?  Was it the chicken or was it the egg?  Do you know?  Does anybody know?

I could argue all day for the case for the egg coming first.  Think about your day, Friends.  If you eat any kind of breakfast, I betchya there's eggs involved.  Scrambled, poached, fried, hard-boiled, RAW, in a protein smoothie if you're hard-core... Eggs are an important part of a nutritious breakfast.

Gee, this is harder to answer than I thought!
Furthermore, little chickens come from eggs.  I have a book that Aunt Colleen got me that's fuzzy like a little chick, and it's called One Little Chick.  It's actually about a buncha little chicks hatching in a nest, but it's still one of my favorite books, despite the misleading title.  I just love it!  And in that book, it's clear that the little chicks come from the eggs, therefore, the eggs are in the nest first, and chickens are eggs first.

BUT.  Two things.

First, when you're starting your day, it's possible that a rooster cockadoodle-doos and wakes you up before you can eat some eggs.

Second, I ask this: Where did the eggs come from?  Why, in my book, there's a Mama Hen.  She laid the eggs.  I believe this is how it is with all the other chickens, not just the chickens in my book.  A hen has to lay the eggs.  So the eggs that all little chickens are before they're little chickens hafta come from a hen.  That means the hen was there before the eggs, so the eggs couldn't have come first, because they come from a hen who needed to exist before she could lay eggs.

Hey, I'm goin' for that milkshake now!
And that hen would have had to have been an egg herself once.  So there was another hen before her.

So where DID that proto-hen come from?  Or did chicken eggs just mysteriously appear one day in a nest?  I think we're gettin' into some science fictioney stuff here. 

Let's back up and re-examine the original question: Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

By Jove, call the newspapers.  I have the answer. 

You see, it doesn't ask which EXISTED first, the chicken or the egg.  It says which COMES first.  Doesn't say comes where or why.  Now, eggs can't really move on their own.  Yes, they can roll, but they aren't deciding for themselves to go from here to there or there to here.  A chicken can, however.  A chicken can look across a yard and bring itself from there to here. 

So there's my answer, Friends.  Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?  Well, it's the chicken, of course, coming along and bringing the eggs, which will arrive after.  How about that?!  It's all about the wording.  It's all about answering the question that was asked, not trying to figure out the question that you think is trying to be asked.  I believe the big kids call this Logic. 

I really don't know.  What I DO know is this was a lot of heavy-duty thinking, so that milkshake I mentioned earlier... I'm going to go for that now, and if I run into any chickens on my way to the milkshakery, I'll help 'em across the street and do a little dance with 'em.

Have a good day, Friends!  I love ya!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment