Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What It Is About Fall

The Fall is magical, and I'll tell ya why!
Friends, I love the fall.  There just seems to be excitement along with that bite in the air, once the weather starts turning a little cooler.  I've really been puzzling over what it is about the fall that feels so... well, to use a term that some have argued I overuse, MAGICAL.  Fall feels magical to me, Friends!

I think what it is, Friends, is that there's always something to decorate for, here in the fall, without any breaks or gappage between decorating holidays!

Think about it!  In January, all the decorations come down from Christmas, and we just have Januaryness for a coupla weeks, until it's time to decorate for Valentine's.  Then I guess you could put up your St. Patricks stuff right after Valentine's, but sometimes, St. Patrick's Day sorta overlaps with Easter, and some years, there's a long stretch between St. Patrick's Day and Easter. 

Besides, during all those holidays I mentioned, there's snow to fight with.  That can suck a festive mood outta anybody.  It's all just grind, grind, grind.

During the warm months, there's not a lot to decorate for.  I guess you could get all flagulous for Memorial Day, Flag Day, and the Fourth of July.   You could.  But really, we're talking about putting out your flags at the end of May and just keeping them there until July, and most people do that, anyway.  Lots of people do that, anyway.  There's not a lot of change between. 

Then, back-to-school, and things start getting exciting.  I went to Aunt Colleen's classroom to help her decorate for back-to-school... Okay, so what I really did is stick her big dice in my mouth and try to get my hands on the dry-erase markers.  I went with the intention of helping Aunt Colleen decorate her classroom for back-to-school, and it's the thought that counts.

I suppose civilians could decorate for back-to-school.  I envision an epic tableau outside my house, with giant pencils and erasers festooning the yard.  I can't help but notice, nobody has done an epic back-to-school tableau such as the one I'm visualating, and I wonder if it's because people aren't so excited about back-to-school, or if they're afraid of retribution from angry high schoolers who will come to their yards and shout out geometric proofs in protest of the decorating scheme, because it celebrates their oppression.  Or, maybe it's like Mommy says: if you put crap in your yard during lawn mowing season, you've gotta move it out of the way before you can mow every week, and then put it all back.

This is also why Mommy vetoed my idea for an epic back-to-school tableau in our yard.

So that brings up these Fallidays.  First, you've got Halloween.  People go all-out for Halloween, with the blow-up lawn ornaments, and regular lawn ornaments, and they make their houses all spooktacular (a word that makes Mommy die a little inside everytime it's uttered, she says, but I like it like I like cracks in a sidewalk!  Sorry Mommy!)  I suspect this is because it's just plain fun to decorate for Halloween, and also, the grass doesn't grow as fast in the fall, and even if it did, you wouldn't know it, because the leaves are all over the place anyway!

I love to watch the decorations change!
Then Halloween gives up the ghost just in time for the turkeys and fall-colored wreaths, and cornucopias and Indian corn!  Yes, Thanksgiving.  Not as fun to decorate for as Halloween and Christmas, but you get to eat turkey and pumpkin pie, so the least you can do is put some Indian corn on your door, Friends!  It's a nice holiday to decorate for!

A lotta people then use the day after Thanksgiving as the opportunity to put up their Christmas stuff, and Christmas decorations make Halloween decorations look sparse at some places.  It's almost as though one second, everything's normal, and the next, it all glitters and sparkles and plays "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town!"  And I know you think of Christmastime as winter, but you're wrong!  Christmas itself is JUST into winter, but Christmas Decorating Season is actually in the fall. 

And that helps make the Fall the magical season it is.  That's why I love it, Friends!  Something new every few weeks.  I love ya!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment