Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Zoe's Techno Rewind: Old Timey Make-Up

Haters gonna hate.  I'm still lookin' great!
Friends, some of you might think this is a stretch, talking about make-up on Techno Rewind Tuesday, but it really isn't.  There are a lot of high-tech makeup products and applicators and such out there, and compared to how things were in the Olden Days, the makeup of today is really high-tech.  I'm not gonna bore you, getting too technical on you, but I would like to point out a few things that made my jaw drop right down when I found out about 'em.

First of all, did you know that there were some civilizations that used lead paint to make their skin white?  Lead paint is BAD for you, whether you try to eat the chips or make yourself deathly pale with it!

Another thing that floored me was mascara.  I've always taken mascara for granted that it comes in a tube with polymers and all kindsa fancy stuff in it to keep it on and to make your eyelashes curl and all that.  But I guess tubes are pretty recent, grand-scheme speaking.  The first mascara was made by a lady who used ashes mixed with Vaseline, and she put it on with a little comb-looking thing.  That's useful to know if you wind up having to go to the Pioneer House (Is that still a thing?  Do you know?) and you can't have any modern makeups, but otherwise, I'll just be leaving that one alone.  When I was a baby, brand-spanking new, I had a greasy ointment on my eyes.  Some kind of preventative thing.  And I remember it was so greasy, and I couldn't see very well when I opened my eyes, and when I cried, it just got everywhere.  I can't imagine adding ashes to something like that and having it near my eyes.  So I'll just hold out for my first tube of real mascara.  Patience makes good things come to you, Friends.

The other low-tech makeup I heard about is lipstick made out of crushed up berries, which doesn't seem so outlandish, and I think it's still a thing.  I've accidentally given myself different lipstick colors by eating lollipops and popsicles, so crushed up berries as a cosmetic seem quite wonderful. 

The lipstick I can be seen applying in the photo above is actually a toy lipstick, from out of my toy makeup kit.  It's wood, and it doesn't actually put color on my lips.  That's a real bummer, especially now that I know how wonderful real lipstick is to apply.  My favorite color is Mary Kay Tanned lipstick.  It looks really natural on me.  So natural that Mommy even had to look twice and ask me if I'd gotten into her makeup.  Although, I like the smell and taste of the Mary Kay at Play Atomic Red Triple Lip Balm.  It smells like crushed up berries!

So technology sometimes comes around full-circle.  How about that?! 

Hey!  Stay beautiful, Friends!  I'll be seeing you tomorrow, mmmmmkay?  I love ya lots!  Muah!




No comments:

Post a Comment