Pages

Friday, June 24, 2016

Disconcerting Realities About Victorian P.E.I.

I'm beginning to think they shoulda called it "Anne of Gilligan's Island!"
Hiya, Big People!  Happy Friday to you!

Well, ya know, I've recently taken a liking to the story of Anne of Green Gables.  I've had the abridged version of the book read to me, and I've seen the miniseries that played on the Disney Channel way back in the 1980s. 

Throughout my journey to Avonlea, I thought I'd like to go back in time to meet Anne and her friend Diana Berry with the raven locks, and Gilbert Blythe and Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert.  Not that snotty Josie Pye, though.  I would definitely NOT like to meet Josie Pye.  She's mean.

However, I have been doing some research on just what was what back in Anne Shirley's day on Prince Edward Island, or P.E.I.  Did you know that there were no bathrooms in those days?  I mean no indoor toilets.  People had to heat water on the fire to fill a bathtub.  They had to "go" in the outhouse!  OUTSIDE!  And there was no electricity!  No telephones!  No motorcars!

I realize this sounds like paradise to some people, but I'll tell ya what these Olden Days sounds like to me... Well, it sounds like they ought to have called it "Anne of Gilligan's Island," with all the lack of phone, and lights, and motorcars, at least at the beginning!

Oh well, I guess.  I can visit Anne and her friends any time I want, in books.  And then I can come back to my Own Time, especially when I hafta go potty or take a bath.  Those things are much more pleasant nowadays, and I'm sure the folks from Avonlea would be wild about indoor plumbing if they just could experience it!  In fact, I wonder what they'd think of our times, if they could have a peek!  I bet they wouldn't even believe their eyes!

Anyways, Friends, I love ya lots!  Find yourself a really neat world today!  I'll see ya tomorrow!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment