Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Paintin' With My Fingers!

No. I'm not in a horror movie. I'm fingerpaintin'!
Hiya, Friends!  Well, you know I'm always learning something.  Always doing something new. Learning new things is the spice of life.  It really is!

So this new thing is finger-painting.  Now, I've dabbled in the finger-painting before, with my blended sweet potatoes, and some ketchup, and soap on the counter, and with water on my tray on my high chair.  But on my last visit to Aunt Colleen's house, which really amounted to something epic, really, I got to fingerpaint with real paints! 

See? This is PAINT on my plate!
It was AMAZING!  I got to paint on paper plates, and then Aunt Colleen would put paint on my hands and then put it down on the paper, and it would look like FISH!  Just my hand-print, just like that! 

Also, Mommy made me an Artist's Smock out of a Market District bag she cut holes in for my head and arms.  I thought that was pretty neat!  So not only did I feel really artsy, painting papers and paper plates with my fingers and all, but I also felt a little avant garde fashion-wise.  I can't think of anybody I've seen before, wearing a smock made from a modified Market District bag, after all. 
Whoa. You can use two colors on one work of art? Fabulous!
Now, I thought that I'd reached the pinnacle of breathtaking discoveries for the day, painting with one color on plates and papers, but then what did Aunt Colleen do?  She had me try painting with TWO colors at once!  Red and Blue!  I'll never forget it, because that experience blew my mind!  I loved how the red and the blue each asserted themselves on the paper plate, and then in the middle, they were purple!

I think the cool kids call that a gradient-effect.

What I thought was particularly surprising was what happened when I mixed some of each of the four colors together on my paper plate: I mixed red, blue, yellow, and green, and together, those four colors made black.

My hand is a plane- now I AM my art!  Wow!
I don't know what I expected, really, but I know I didn't expect to see those colors all turn black.  That's good to know, though, because I'm thinking about doing a holiday-themed work of art for Halloween.  I know mixing red-n-yella will make orange, so I could paint a pumpkin, but I really wanted to be able to finger-paint a black cat, in honor of my friend Buddy-Cat. 

Hey, I don't hafta wait all the way 'til it's time to start doing Halloween crafts in order to make a portrait of my friend Buddy-Cat.  I can do a portrait of Buddy-Cat right now!

That's why I love art, Friends!  You don't hafta wait for the right time and place because all the time is the right time, and anyplace where you can make yourself a fancy artist's smock out of an appropriately-sized shopping bag, you can just turn yourself loose!
No, it isn't whip.  It's shavin' cream!
What I thought was pretty cool was that once I was all done with my painting for the day, Aunt Colleen got out a can of shavin' cream and squirted it all over her counter, where I'd been painting.  She said I could drag my fingers around in it and it'd clean me up.

It was a lot of fun. 

I don't wanna limit myself to just one medium, though.  I'd like to branch out from finger painting and Play Doh sculpting one day and maybe get into working with construction paper, scissors, and paste.

I could collage!  I could be a mixed-media artist!

Yeah, I like that idea a lot. 

Friends, I've got some ideafying to do at my white board, so I'm gonna letchya go for today.  I love ya!  Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment