Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Why It's Funny

I love a good joke that makes me laugh!
Hey-ya, Friends!  If you know me, you know I love a good joke.  My favorite is the one about why Six was afraid of Seven. ... Do you know? ... Because Seven eight Nine! That one cracks me up every single time I hear or tell it, Friends.  It's comedic gold!

But sometimes, I hear a joke, and even though I laugh when I'm in the moment, because everybody around me is laughing, I wonder why in the world it's funny.

One such joke goes like this: "When is a door not a door?" and the answer is "When it's a jar."

Sometimes, jokes aren't funny.
That one was a head scratcher for me, Friends.  Why would people laugh at that?  Doors can't be jars!  Jars don't have doors!  I suppose you could make a door from a jar, but you'd hafta melt down the glass and put it in a door-mold, and then the jar wouldn't be a jar anymore.  It would just be a glass jar.

So this joke about doors not being doors because they're jars really had me confounded, and to tell you the truth, I didn't like it at all.  I thought it was a stupid joke, and it isn't often that I use the word "stupid."  No, really!

When is a jar not a jar? When it's a drinking glass!
Thing of it is, I didn't want to be that kid that just says "That's a stupid joke!" and walks away without really trying to understand it, so I finally got on the Internet, which knows everything as you know, and did some research into this joke.  ... Hey, it might be a little nerdy, but I'll tell ya what: Knowledge is power, People.  Knowledge is power!

Anyway, as it turns out, the joke is funny (I guess), because there's an actual word 'ajar,' and it means that something's sorta open, not closed all the way.  Doors CAN be ajar, so I suppose the joke is funny because it's a play on words.

I'm still not impressed. But you know what impresses me to all get-out?  When people use jars as drinking glasses.  That is some quality up-cycling there, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment